How often to feed my yellow tang nori?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know they will need a lot of these but how often do I feed them in one week? Currently I am like... feeding 1 sheet 3 days a week. Is that enough for him?

You leave a whole sheet in the tank for 3 days or your breaking the one sheet up over 3 days? I wouldn't feed anymore then it can consume in two hours or less and remove any leftovers from the tank. Depending on size one sheet is probably enough, does it eat other stuff you add to the tank?

My YT is almost 5 inches and it eats about a 3" X 3" strip within an hour and I feed it every day. It also eats frozen along with the rest of the fish every other day and constantly grazes the lr.

Sorry I didn't mention in details. Ok here it goes:

I feed all my fish everyday. Frozen food, flakes and pellets. My yellow tang loves them all and gobble everything down during each feeding.

Other than those foods I also left him a 3"x3" sheet to chew every 3 times a week. But I have got another problem. Everytime I took the veggie clip out, my other fishes already know what I am up to and waiting for the nori too. Especially the bannerfish will start tearing things up, seems like he is eating it but sometimes he is just simply tear them apart. My yellow tang also takes bites on the nori too. This will only last max an hour or two before the whole sheet of nori is gone.

So in this case is 3 times a week will be enough?

If your YT is 5" or less and the bannerfish is just nipping and not really eating the 3" X 3" piece it is probably enough.

Underfed YT are not too hard to spot, do you notice any “pinching” in the area of the dorsal musculature (the muscles running along the top of the spine, below the dorsal fin)?

Feeding daily is not really needed. Most tanks do just fine with feedings every two or three days. I hang nori on days when I do not feed anything else. I only leave it in the tank for part of the day.

I agree. I feed my tank every other day and feed seaweed selects on the off days. Tangs need to forage on greens also. Alot of my other fish forage on it also.

Yeah lando and mel I previously did feeding every other day. But when I told one of my LFS they said I am too cruel, they also said they need to be fed everyday in order to stay healthy to fend of any disease. I am so confused here don't know who is saying the right thing. I currently do feeding everyday due to their remarks made therefore my nitrate has sky rocketed but they said that's ok if a FOWLR tank.

I would LOVE to do feeding every other day too as I don't like to foul up the water too soon eventhough I do waterchange every week. Man I am soooo confuse....

I`m sorry you are confused and I`m not calling anyone a liar or that anyone is wrong. But IME I have been feeding as I mentioned above for nine years. My yellow tang has been with me from the begining. Almost all my fish have been with me for over 5+ yrs. I dont have anything to prove what I do but experience. Not trying to sell you anything as your LFS is. I`ve not had algea or ick in my tank in 7 yrs now. I promise you, I`m not confused. I`ve seen the results. Hope all goes well.

And by the way your tang will eat every day as the way that me and Brian discussed. I dont suggest tangs eating every other day. As I suggested feed them greens on the off days.

Thanks for that Mel. I will definitely try that and see how it goes.

Weekf
I thought I would pass along my 2 cents too. I feed my regal every day as strip of Nori too. I make a sheet last about 1 week if not more. However I just got a yellow too and feed it every day. My regal has been without ick for almost 2 years now I think...shes FAT for sure!! Very active fish for sure. Some days she eats the strip in less than 1 hour and others it will take her 2!

Back
Top Bottom