How often to feed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is your aquarium? what size is it? how many fish did you say? how much food are you putting in the tank and how often?

you are not comparing apples to apples.

i also never said it's not possible to keep tangs in pairs..obviously they have to reproduce somehow..this is not from immaculate conception.
you are spouting off that tangs should be kept in pairs in an overfed, overstocked 60 gallon tank thread. we are supposed to convince the OP that he's got too many fish. not suggest it's ok.

This is my 1500l Tank and the acans are from my Small Tank in thebsame System. My chelmon eats them!

I have One Site where you See the Fish without HQI and the other Side is lighted by 2 x 250HQI with T5.

Thats what i said! Top many fish for this Small Tank!!!! Sure!

My posting about the Tangs was General!

I suggest to Upgrade the Tank or get the Fish a better Home. I mean a lionfish is not better in this tank! Right!?

I can also Tell you Fish that would fit perfectly! Small gobbys, like trimmas or eviotas, amblygobius hektori or rainfordi, pseudochromis fridmani, Lots of apogons, some pipefish like dorrhyamphus excitus,
Or bangai cardinal, and many many more!

This is my 1500l Tank and the acans are from my Small Tank in thebsame System. My chelmon eats them!

I have One Site where you See the Fish without HQI and the other Side is lighted by 2 x 250HQI with T5.
a very nice 400+ gallon tank. you are one of the few that can afford to have many tangs.

But size is not everthing. I saw really pretty Small Tanks.

They Fish are all quite old. With my Experience I would now not put Acanthurus species in my Tank again. Also triggers are Not nice ones if you keep them longer. They Start to swimm Strange ways. Cause of Beeing bored...

Yes. They Fight together against others. Especially in the evening when they want to spawn. It just Works Cause Lots of Food.
To keep the Water in good conditions I Change 200l a Week and use a Big Protein skimmer. But I still have righ po4 and no3. I found out that in my Case the Ratio between this two seems good. It should Be 1:10/1:20

I used to be a feeder like you.....they looked hungry so i fed them. I also was constantly fighting the nitrate monster. My fish associated me with food.... They saw me coming and like pavlovs dogs...swam to surface in anticipation of a meal.

I am now a reformed over feeder. I feed them approx 1 cube frozen mysis every other day. On the odd days i put some dry seaweed on a clip and let them nibble.

They didnt starve & its now so much easier to keep the nitrate monster away...lol

Its hard for the first few days..., i so wanted to feed them....but after i broke my bad habit, they are happy & healthier. I also have more $$ to spend on equip. or critters since my monthly food bill was dramatically decreased.

Good luck.

*there should be an over feeders anonymous support group....lol.....someone you can call & they can talk you down from adding "just one more cube". I was a member of the overfeeders group for about a year...very hard habit to break.

Wow that is a lot of tangs for a 60 gallon tank. You can not possibly put that much food in there, your nitrates will soar! I would get a bigger home for them and fast, with that many tangs in one tank you should have at least a 180 or bigger. I am suprised they have made it this long. I would sell some of those tangs off before you kill them if you can not upgrade your tank. For the food, you should only feed them a very small amount of food twice a day. I would put a quarter cube in the am and a quarte cube in the evening. OR, I would stop using cubed food all together and feed pellets and seaweed. But again, not such big amount.

I feed my fish one cube every two days. On the off days, I feed them seaweed that they can feed on. They fish are still fat and happy.
I have one each: yellow tang, maroon clownfish, percula clownfish, coral beauty angelfish, yellowtail blue damsel, and a 3 stripe damsel.

How much to feed your tank is going to depend on how much filtration and waste removal you have. All the nutrients you put in the tank need to be removed eventually. That is a lot of food you are feeding now and it would take a lot to remove that much. I would say you should cut it down to a cube a day with out know what kind of filtration you have or how often you do water changes.

Right now I only put 1 small sheet of seaweed dipped in garlic in am and feed one cube at 5pm each day.... I have a penguin bio wheel 350 ... A bio wheel 200 .... Protein skimmer.... 1000 gph power head .... 5 blue leg hermit crabs 12 snails one Sally lightfoot....

Oh also last weekend I did 50% change and this weekend o next was gonna do 10-15 % .... how often should I change??

Why do you have so many canister filters on there ?

One cube is far too much, i would put a quarter cube twice daily max.

A lot of people only do half a cube every two days. I use pellets and feed my gang twice a day, but light feedings. And for your tangs all they need is a piece of seaweed about half inch by half inch if you only have the two per day, maybe twice per day. You don't want to have too much nutrients in your tank or your water quality will diminish.

For water changes I do a 10% every 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom