How overstocked is this tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added some omega one veggie flakes to this :) only have 2 platies for now. Next month I can add more.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but, would panda cories be ok in a 20g high? Or peppered? I see peppered cories the most I think, so it would be easier to get a full group/school. Are they more of a bottom dweller than the pygmys would be?I haven't seen the Venezuelan anywhere :(
(I still only have 2 platies haha)

The peppered cories actually will get too big and need a tank with a larger footprint, but panda's would work great. My LFS doesn't keep them in stock but were able to order them for me. If you are having a hard time finding them you might want to ask a local shop if they can do that for you. :)

Oh my goodneess! The pygmies are soooo cute! I finally found some :) 6 of them in a 10 for now. Theyre schooling! Woohoo! :D but theyre soooo small, about 1.5 cm. Tiny! They just got a shipment i suppose, becuase there were manymanymany pygmies in there. Im sooo happy!

Oh my goodneess! The pygmies are soooo cute! I finally found some :) 6 of them in a 10 for now. Theyre schooling! Woohoo! :D but theyre soooo small, about 1.5 cm. Tiny! They just got a shipment i suppose, becuase there were manymanymany pygmies in there. Im sooo happy!
I know right, they are so adorable. Did you end up finding some habrosus?

No i didnt unfortunatly :(
They were labelled hastus (or something) but going by pictures im 99% sure theyre pygmeaus.
But i can only find 5... Theyre sneaky, and ones been hiding in the cave not moving too much. Do you think he'll perk up? Theyre currently in qt with a new male platy, and theyre getting along splendidly. :)

No i didnt unfortunatly :(
They were labelled hastus (or something) but going by pictures im 99% sure theyre pygmeaus.
But i can only find 5... Theyre sneaky, and ones been hiding in the cave not moving too much. Do you think he'll perk up? Theyre currently in qt with a new male platy, and theyre getting along splendidly. :)
Ah those are hastatus. They do look and act a lot like pygmaeus but I have found they are generally easier to get from the lfs. Unlike most cories, they are mid-tank shoalers and are not generally very active on the bottom.

They may or may not perk up. I think it's likely the presence of larger fish that is scaring them. I have a shoal of 8 hastatus and they were out and about all day every day until I added a school of ember tetras with them. Previously they had only been with other pygmy cories, the slow moving scarlet badis, and the teeny tiny mosquito rasboras. Now even the ember tetras are very small..smaller than neon tetras, and still from that day on the hastatus hid all day every day and never got used to them. It's been several months now so I'm going to pull the ember's out and see if they start making more appearances again.

But its only 1 thats acting weird. He just sits on the bottom not moving, with his dorsal fin clamped tight against him. The others are schooling, every half hour or so he'll sprint up then come down to the same position in a few seconds...and stay there...
Im basically positive theyre pygmaeus, they have a very defined stripe and no white on their tails, unlike in pictures ive seen of the hastatus

Back
Top Bottom