how picky are angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you think they would do well with a school of dannios in a 55g? i have two 55g, this one only have dannios in it. I like the look of angels, but i'm not sure how picky they are about water and tank mates.

Angels are actually fairly hardy once they are properly acclimated to a well-established tank. The main thing is avoid fin-nippers and fish small enough to be eaten by the angels.

Angels are actually fairly hardy once they are properly acclimated to a well-established tank. The main thing is avoid fin-nippers and fish small enough to be eaten by the angels.

I agree 100%, I've kept angels for several years with cherry barbs, rainbows, etc. Even had a pair mate once completely without help from me and I probably don't monitor/adjust the water quality near as much as I should. IME if they pair off and mate, they will become more aggressive/dominant in the tank. Have fun!

Angels are not the problem, most of the time, except with each other on occasion. They surprised me as to how hardy they really are. When I got some of mine they were barely bigger than a pea. I didn't think they'd last a week. Instead they get bigger and stronger everyday. They've been growing much faster than I thought they would.
It's the other fish that you put in with them that can cause problems. I have Hi Fin Black skirt Tetras with my Angels and I have no problems between them. But with the tetras you need to make sure there is a large enough school or they get stressed and nip at each others fins. But they have always left the Angels alone.
The Danio's should be fine, but being that they are also a schooling fish, I would imagine that they need to have at least 6 in a school to feel safe.

Back
Top Bottom