How soon PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I did a 50% pwc on my 10 gallon tank tonight. I am waiting on my API water kit to arrive so I am still checking water with my sticks. It has been less than an hour since the change and my ammonia level reads the same as it did before (around .25 - .5 see picture). How soon should I do another pwc?

image-1596065796.jpg

So I did a 50% pwc on my 10 gallon tank tonight. I am waiting on my API water kit to arrive so I am still checking water with my sticks. It has been less than an hour since the change and my ammonia level reads the same as it did before (around .25 - .5 see picture). How soon should I do another pwc?

View attachment 163434
I really wouldn't rely on strips as they are not very accurate.
Second, I suggest waiting at least 30minutes to an hour before re-doing an ammonia test.

I have ordered my kit, it arrived in my city today... I bet I do not see it until Monday. I learned from this forum the strips were not accurate. But for now they are what I own.

I will check it again at 11 eastern time. If it is high I should do another pwc?

I have ordered my kit, it arrived in my city today... I bet I do not see it until Monday. I learned from this forum the strips were not accurate. But for now they are what I own.

I will check it again at 11 eastern time. If it is high I should do another pwc?
Depends. Is this a cycled tank, and if there fish in. If so, how many and what type?

We are in cycle. My pet store's advice of 48 hours pre-fish appears to be inaccurate. Anyway, I am trying to take care of our fish. We have one Dalmatian Molly, one Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy, three small Neon Tetras, and three mystery snails.

The tank is a Top Fin starter kit. The only thing I have added is an air pump and small air stone.

We are in cycle. My pet store's advice of 48 hours pre-fish appears to be inaccurate. Anyway, I am trying to take care of our fish. We have one Dalmatian Molly, one Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy, three small Neon Tetras, and three mystery snails.

The tank is a Top Fin starter kit. The only thing I have added is an air pump and small air stone.
Could you give me a record or the begin date of you're cycle? Are you in the ammonia part of the cycle, witch is the first one? Have you had nitrite and/or nitrate spikes or rises?
Also, i recommend a minimum of 5 neon tetra's, as they are usually schooling fish.

If your worried, do another change. As fish said, the strips are useless, but better than nothing. I would do a 50% change everyday until your test kit arrives and you can test more accurately. If you notice your fish are gasping at the surface, do an immediate 70% change. The joys of a fishin cycle!!!!

Thanks for the input and help. We are going into the fourth week of the aquarium. Minus two days on the fish in. I have seen neither nitrite or nitrate spikes (again I was sold strips). And the ammonia started showing up this week.

I have thought about buying a couple more tetras once the tank cycled... I have read they prefer five. Unless you think I will be overcrowded.

I just re-tested the ammonia and the bottles chart says .5. I am going to do another 50% pwc tonight.

Just to make sure (because it seems everyone says something different) should I add two drops of Prime to every gallon of fresh water.

Btw, my tap water doesn't have chlorine in it and my test doesn't check for chloramine. The stuff sure is hard though.

Thanks for the input and help. We are going into the fourth week of the aquarium. Minus two days on the fish in. I have seen neither nitrite or nitrate spikes (again I was sold strips). And the ammonia started showing up this week.

I have thought about buying a couple more tetras once the tank cycled... I have read they prefer five. Unless you think I will be overcrowded.
You might be slightly over stocked with 5, but keeping the tank in good condition will help control this.
Also, something might be wrong, as a slight ammonia gain after 4 weeks is quite long. I'm not sure though.

It's more like 8-10. I wouldn't worry about them for now. Getting it cycled and stable for a few weeks is the best thing to do. If you are only getting Ammonia recently, then you are only starting your cycle. You'll then get Nitrite, then Nitrate. You'll be able to judge it better when you get the liquid kit.
Unfortunately a lot but not all pet stores, sell or advise customers inaccurately. With AA, you now have your own source of correct information.
TIP...Research, ask, research, ask etc etc

It's more like 8-10. I wouldn't worry about them for now. Getting it cycled and stable for a few weeks is the best thing to do. If you are only getting Ammonia recently, then you are only starting your cycle. You'll then get Nitrite, then Nitrate. You'll be able to judge it better when you get the liquid kit.
Unfortunately a lot but not all pet stores, sell or advise customers inaccurately. With AA, you now have your own source of correct information.
TIP...Research, ask, research, ask etc etc
Amen My Friend. Truth is spoken:)

Going to bed.

I did a more than 50% pwc. Levels are down, but I am still seeing some green in the strip. Unfortunately, the kit was shipped UPS so there is zero chance of seeing it tomorrow. Also, I am almost out of ammonia strips now... There goes my savings from buying online. I will need to pick something up tomorrow.

I gave everyone a small feeding tonight. I think we will fast tomorrow. I took the tank down to once a day last week, and they fasted Tuesday. If that is a bad idea, please someone let me know.

Any small ammonia kits you might recommend?

Going to bed.

I did a more than 50% pwc. Levels are down, but I am still seeing some green in the strip. Unfortunately, the kit was shipped UPS so there is zero chance of seeing it tomorrow. Also, I am almost out of ammonia strips now... There goes my savings from buying online. I will need to pick something up tomorrow.

I gave everyone a small feeding tonight. I think we will fast tomorrow. I took the tank down to once a day last week, and they fasted Tuesday. If that is a bad idea, please someone let me know.

Any small ammonia kits you might recommend?
Fasting won't really affect them that much.
I would recommend hagen or api test kits. Very good accuracy(in my experience).

You're doing a great job so far. You ordered the API master test kit right? If you did there is no urgent need to go out and buy a test kit if your master test kit will be there in a day or two. Just continue with 50+% water changes at least twice a day until you can appropriately test your water.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the kit last week. It has arrived at the local distribution center, but I will not see it until Monday. Performed a 50% pwc this morning and I will do another this evening.

I am going to write down my strip readings so that I can compare. The in supposed inaccuracy of these strips has kept me a little worried. Especially, when I didn't see ammonia until this week at .5 ppm.

Be patient with cycle, reduce water changes to maybe 25%, you maybe prolonging cycle by changeing to much water at one time, not allowing enough bacteria to build in your filter. :) Also if you are second guessing the strips, run a sample of your aquarium water to your lfs and let them do a test utilizing a liquid test kit.

Be patient with cycle, reduce water changes to maybe 25%, you maybe prolonging cycle by changeing to much water at one time, not allowing enough bacteria to build in your filter. :) Also if you are second guessing the strips, run a sample of your aquarium water to your lfs and let them do a test utilizing a liquid test kit.

Most stores (chain anyway) test with strips so having a lfs test the water is kind of a moot point here. A test kit is on the way and daily decent water changes will keep toxin levels in check in the meantime.

Reducing water changes at this point in time is not good idea as the parameters are an unknown. Reducing wcs in a fish-in cycle in general is not suggested as the purpose of wcs is to ensure a fish's health and well being during he cycling process- whether a cycle is prolonged is irrelevant. The health and well being of fish are the main priority.

I have to respectively disagree, if your worried about Ammonia and have no accurate way of testing, 50% is the best option. The problem with bringing your water to get tested is, are they really using liquid test kits or just popping out the back and using strips. Also are they performing the tests correctly. Sorry to sound so cynical but I speak from personal experience and from reading many posts from fellow members. They usually tell you, you need this treatment or that treatment or even a few more fish!!!. The only person to trust with your water tests is yourself!!.....

Back
Top Bottom