How supportive are your partners in this hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a great thread. I am single, but I would be really disappointed if my spouse didn't support my hobbies. I can see how the expense would potentially be an issue though. Anything expensive has the potential to be an issue I suppose... I guess its about priorities though. If the money is there, why not spend it on something that makes you happy? And of all hobbies, I would like to see my spouse interested in something that keeps them around the house too. Better than off on the golf course/bowling alley/basket weaving studio/bar or something all day long. If money is tight though, better to hold off on that extra fish/tank/gadget and as my ex used to say "get the kids that loaf of bread they've been bugging me for".

My only advice is that generally, when people are a little hostile about stuff like this, its really because they are feeling resentful or even jealous about the amount of attention their loved one is giving something other than them. Sometimes we all need little reminders from loved ones that we are their proprity even if it seems like they are pouring all of their efforts into a hobby (or whatever it may be).

First of all, weekf, your wife should be ashamed of herself! No one should speak that way to someone they love.

Secondly, my husband is a big baby and won't play fish tank because I know more than him and it makes him feel stupid. Oy! He does love our big pleco, and will bring home a female betta in a cup once in a while as a surprise for me.

I do feel a little odd in that I cook more often for the fish/dog/cats than I do for us. Ah well-

i still live at home, so if i convince my mom to buy a fish, you should see all my sisters in protest, ive never seen such an outcry since the vietnam riots. they all say how much they hate the aquarium, and blah, blah, but i always catch them sitting around in some time or another, watching the fish

My husband really isn't into the tanks too much. He just doesn't see the facination. He knows that I enjoy them so he tolerates them, especially since I fund them with my own personal spending cash. There's a reason we set aside a certain amount of money each month that belongs to each of us for personal use, that way we can spend it on the things we want and don't have to justify it to the other.

Now since my son was born and has started to show an interest in the fish and tanks, my hubby pays more attention to the tanks. He'll sit with my son and the two of them will watch the tanks together. It's a way for him to spend time with our son, and he enjoys watching our son enjoy the tanks. He even sometimes notices when I've done extra cleaning. "Hey you cleaned the tank, I can actually see through the glass again." Heh... gotta love algae issues.

My wife is great... when we first met I had a FW tank, so she has always known what she is getting into. She has never been into this hobby like I am..but she has horses and knows what obsession is all about,lol. She will sometimes complain about the money I spend on this, but I have to admit she is 100% right and I know it...I am lucky to have her , she may not always agree but she understands. Plus, she is very house proud and if I am going to have these tanks in the house they have to look good...suits me fine.
She does get into it as well though...sometimes shocks me how well she knows the fish and coral species.
Another thing to take into account is to resist the temptation to talk about fish etc ALL the time. Nothing will push people further away than constant talk about something they are not that interested in. Think about people who rave on about politics,religion or whatever. They make you cringe? Dont do that to your partner or you will force them away...thats what I think anyway.

just as an update, MY tank has turned into OUR tank... LOL. i say good, now he can help pay for all the stuff! specially since i bought 80% and i make less, hehe... is that wrong??

I don't know how it's going to go but I can say when I suddenly wanted to keep fish again my bf started hatching a plot to buy me a tank set up for christmas. And since I obviously can't wait until Christmas he's been encouraging me to just go buy the tank and d*mn the cost.

Of course, he has a CD buying that is truely impressive so he understands about hobbies.

austinsdad said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89346

Get him an IPOD for Christmas in return. Buying CDs???? Not me anymore. :wink:

I think that would only exacerbate it. He has over 5000 CDs and still collecting. :lol: We don't possibly have enough computer to rip even half of what he'd want to. Right now I'm focusing on cd racks so we can get them all out of boxes at least :roll:

My husband acts like he is not into it and was really upset when my SW tank crashed and we had to give up the SW thing (too expensive) because we had over $1500 invested in it and only had it up and going for 3 months. He does enjoy it though because he would be over there talking to the fish and watching it more than I was. I can't wait to get my FW started etc..

I have to admit though, he doesn't complain when he had to help me with water changes.

My girlfriend will accomodate my hobby surprisingly. She's slightly ichthyophobic and has problems with fish stores that have aquariums all around and dark lighting, but she can deal with my tanks. In return, I put up with her rats, even though I've been bitten too many times by pet rodents and I can't handle holding them. I'm not going to set up any more tanks though.

My wife is supportive,but not very involved.Perfect case scenerio lol.

She really enjoys the tank as well...esp the new SW tank.

My wife is supportive of anything I do, but like the OP, she doesnt understand why things cost money. I have found myself selling things on ebay to pad the paypal account to buy "fish stuff" as she calls it.

I think the problem is, there is no enthusiasm. When I ask her how it looks, she says "Great". But the response is lacking.

I do this for me, not for anyone else, but I still would love for her to appreciate it a little bit. I always have one hobby or another, and she never has...I think thats the problem.

My 16 month old son likes it though! he makes fish faces at the tank!

My Hubby dosent mind the fishies really. He is just glad I dont want HORSES any more! All he will say when I head down to the LFS is well at least fish cant kill you. He is also a pretty good resource for fish care.( Hubbsy was a veteran fish farmer until the camp life got to be too much to bear). He has a great eye for potential sickies and most of the time he pretty much lets me at it.

well i finally let him get the fish HE wanted (well both of us, but ya know, heehee) so now he wants to upgrade NOW, it will be our xmas present to each other! YAY! ive found a great deal on craigslist, hopefully she emails me back and well get it tomorrow....

To the OP (...unsolicited advice warning...:) )

I would say your wife is resentful for some reason or another. She either doesnt have anything she is that interested in, or she feels that she cant spend any money on something SHE is interested in, and is resentful that you get to. (Whether the facts support her feelings is irrelevant at this point, you are dealing with emotion, not rationale....very important distinction...deal with feeling first, then reason later.)

It sounds childish, I know, but that is how some of us work, myself included. Of course it would be better to talk it all out and come to an arrangement or compromise so you can both have what you want. But when the wife is unhappy it usually has more to do with a need that is not being met than an actual dislike of your hobby. It is up to you to shed the light on what it means to you and does for you and why it IS worth it.

I know from my own exp that I really didn't understand my husband's need/desire to go riding around on his motorcycle all the time and while I dont stop him I am not really thrilled about it (mostly I worry) and I was really not supportive when he wanted to buy a new/used one since he had one that "worked just fine".

But that was before I had anything that I was allowed to spend money on. I had lots of interests, lots of crafts and art projects but I didn't feel justified in spending because we needed so many other things, or the kids needed things constantly. It was my job to make sure everything in the home ran smoothly and I had a hard time making room for myself. Any extra in the budget was spent on fixing up his truck or motorcycle, or four wheeler....etc. There was nothing left. That made me jealous. That made me angry sometimes too. And then I would get mad at myself for being selfish....a vicious cycle.

I would get mad when he would go riding and take it out on him when he got back. And then one day I realized WHY it made me mad and I had to talk to him about it.

He explained that this was something that he did for HIM. It was his personal time where he could just be free and not worry about anything. This was his release. It relaxed him and made him able to do the daily grind that keeps up living the life style we are accustomed to living. And in those terms I could understand it. Seriously it turned on the lightbulb for me. I never even thought about it that way before. Overnight he changed my mind about his motorcycle enthusiasm.

I no longer resent his time and I now go out of my way to make sure he has time to go ride whenever he can, especially if he is stressed. I will even suggest it to him. I even listen with REAL interest (not just pretend) when he talks about the engine and the machines he would love to have. It helped to know that he did not need an escape from me, just a break from the grind, the everyday stuff. God knows I could understand the need for a break with 3 kids at home. :)

The complete honesty has really paid off for me too, because last summer he built me a new living room (nearly doubled our living space in our home) in his spare time after his full time job, workin on it everyday... and he built in a special spot complete with plumbing and drain for my fish tank. It had been in storage for 5+years because this house was just too small.

He even kept his hands off except when I asked for help (acquiring gravel from the local riverbed) and has let me do it all. And is even supportive of my new efforts to plant the tank and doesnt complain about those upgrades. As long as I can explain it to him and he can see that I have done my research his is ok with it. He wont ooohh and ahhh over it, but he does like it. He is a man of few words but he is impressed with the amount of work I have put into it. And he loves that I didn't let him take over the project. :) He tends to do that with me a lot....another of my frustrations and why I never had any major hobby. It also helps when I show him rtail price of something I want and then find it for a bargain somewhere else, then he sees that I am TRYING to save money.

A wife and mother WILL understand the need for ME time. The need to have a hobby that givs you a seperate identity than the guy who has to work all day, then be Dad and husband at home.

We all need forms of expression. And perhaps iIf you help her find hers then she will be a whole and happy person too and she will most likely support your hobby. The resentment might even be replaced with joy for you if she feels she can let go of that grudge without sacrificing part of herself. They key of course is effective communication. It can be really hard to bring it up but working it out is really worth it!

So that is my "Dear Happy" advice for today....lol. Sorry if I offend, just offering my personal experience.
Best wishes to all!

weekf said:
Oh? I am surprise there are more female aquarists here than male. Am I the only one??? Some MALES voice out please? Let's hear some guys' experiences.

My wife loves both of our tanks. She gets very attached to the fish and even named some ( I know)..

She never bats an eye when I've come home after spending 300-500.00 on new equipment etc. She's GREAT!!!!

Back
Top Bottom