How to build a stand for a 50 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! Several people wanted me to build a new stand for my new 50 gallon acrylic stand. Only one problem. This is an acrylic aquarium, so it is much less common than their glass cousins. Therefore, I cannot find anything video or otherwise that can tell me how to build a stand for it. Anyone got an idea about what to do? I just don't want to ad lib it and risk it, I just want to hear from someone who's done something like this before. I have plenty of power tools, that's not an issue. If I need a special bit, a run to Home Depot won't bother me.

So, anyone have ideas???

I looked around and ended up using cinder blocks and 2x4s. The wife painted everything so it looks nice.

I once built one for a 55 gal long show tank that a friend had. I used 4 2x6 turned sideways for the legs held together with 1x6 glued and screwed for the frame at the top and bottom. I used 3/4 plywood for the bottom shelf glued and nailed into the 1x6. For the top and doors I used 3/4 veneer plywood trimmed the edges with half round. Stained and finished with spar varnish.

It was a beast VERY sturdy. I had the lumber yard pre cut everything so I just had to put it all together.

BTW I built that stand 20 years ago my friend still uses it and it still looks as good as the day we set up his tank on it.

Back
Top Bottom