How to clear up my new nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One little trick for that cloudy water I put a internal filter in the tank and stuffed it full of cotton wool cheap and works realy well make sure the wool is realy compact it works

dont run cotton, use polyester cotton is a no no. Natural fibers are not inert and can break down over time in your tank... Poly fill from walmart or any other big box store would work better.

There is no easy way to lower nitrates. There are 3 ways I know of that work well 1 water change 25% or more if levels are very high. 2 have an open tank with no lid because the cycle is ammonia turns to nitrite / nitrite turns into nitrate which then evaporates if you have a closed lid it will work it's way back into your tank. 3 you can get some nitrate stuff to put into your filter I have it in mine and it works well. As for the tang when it gets big it will over crowd your tank bigger fish = more waste. I think pwc means precise water change let me know how you get on and look into a sterilliser

Nitrate doesn't evaporate... Nitrate gets turned into Nitrogen by anaerobic bacteria, most tanks don't have enough anaerobic surface area to convert Nitrate to Nitrogen at the rate it is produced in the tanks so they export the Nitrates by doing water changes or having plant's that consume the Nitrates. Also the only way for the Nitrite or Nitrate or Nitrogen to "work it's way back into your tank" is for it to be consumed by an organism and then have the organism die/create waste.

I dont know if this could be a reason. My sand sifters kick up the sand particles. (unfortunately i never cleaned the sand when i put it in the tank. I just cut the bag open of live sand and put it in the tank). It looks like the sand particles are suspended in the tank. I am using the micron sheets that are doing a great job collecting stuff from the tank. I know my skimmer is getting stuff out as well. I did wc today. So far the ecosystem looks fine outside the suspended particles i have.

thats what you do with live sand, just throw it in. the sand sifters arent doing much, once sand it settled it takes more than some blennies/gobies to make it that cloudy.

you really need to look in to returning some of those fish

This is the same problem I've had with live sand. Its the live sand guys sorry. That stuff sucks. I've been making 1 gallon reef tanks for a while now and came to realize its the sand. Once I figured this out I've been washing out the sand a bunch of times before putting it in and never had the week and a half of waiting for the water to clear. I think your yellow tang is fine just keep up on your water changes out. All tanks are too small for tangs if people want to really get in to it. People have fish to look at them and as long as your water is good than what's the big point. That's my belief

This is the same problem I've had with live sand. Its the live sand guys sorry. That stuff sucks. I've been making 1 gallon reef tanks for a while now and came to realize its the sand. Once I figured this out I've been washing out the sand a bunch of times before putting it in and never had the week and a half of waiting for the water to clear. I think your yellow tang is fine just keep up on your water changes out. All tanks are too small for tangs if people want to really get in to it. People have fish to look at them and as long as your water is good than what's the big point. That's my belief

i believe differently on this one, you dont buy a dog to look at, fish are pets just like any other. you wouldnt force a dog to live in a crate its whole life, same goes for the tang. it will grow to at least 7" if allowed, and a 28G tank can't let it do so, itll grow on the inside but the body wont, so how do you think that'll feel to them? 6' tank is fine for a tang.

the sand may have contributed, but i didnt wait more than a day or two with my live sand, no washing whatsoever. he water obviously isnt good if its still cloudy.

Well, i will bring the tang back when he grows as i do with most of my fish.

Your tang might not grow too large. The tank is too small, therefore he won't grow on the outside, but his organs will. Everytime you wait until a fish outgrows the tank, you are shortening his/her lifespan dramatically.
You can ignore our advice if you'd like but people here will continue to tell you it's cruel to keep him in a tank that size for any extended amount of time.

I agree I'm trying to make a point. The guy just started the tank and people are saying its the fish when this is incorrect. Yes a tang can't work in there but in a year or two it will need to be moved. But all I was trying to prove is that the fish aren't making the water couldy. Its the sand. Some people don't have that problem but I have meet a lot of people through networking and they have all came to the agreement that its the sand. Its a joke and never worked me when following the instructions. Trust me I know that tank is to small but that's not the main issue. I love fish and wouldn't do that either

Hey bro its not my tank read my quote. All I'm trying to say guys is its not why his water is clear. I would sell the fish after a year. But its not that big of a deal right now as a juv. Hopefully you guys understan. Look at my tanks I'm not that way.

I changed the direction of my powerheads, it seemed to help from kicking up the sand. I am getting more sediments to flow into my overflow tank and there is a change in cloudiness. I looked closely and its definitely sand particles. From the pictures i am getting improvement. As far as the tang, it will be brought back when it grows. As of right now, its happy where it is. All animals can show signs of stress if you know what your looking for. As far as organs outgrowing the tang, i would like to see a picture of that to educate myself. As far as i know, sw fish will outgrow a tank unlike fw fish. Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• image-3597947098.jpg
    image-3597947098.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1239571061.jpg
    image-1239571061.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 111
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

Read this thread. I asked a guy who I consider to be the best in the business about a tang being in a too small of a tank. He gave his answer and I have seen it to be true through the years. Your tank is too small for that tang. I dont care how small he is but eventually you`ll see signs of stress that in turn will turn into Disease and parasites in the next few months. Seen it to many times.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
ive never seen water that cloudy except when i added my sand/water. the tank should be clear by now. like i said the skimmer in a tank that small isnt worth it, most small skimmers dont do anything anyway.

two weeks is a somewhat short cycle, but thats besides the point now. if you want to leave the tang go ahead, but like i saw someone say on here once 'ive never been able to tell when my fish are happy or not' cabezon i think it was.

as for the additions, i would stop them. they may be contributing to your problem, a tank that small needs only fresh SW, any corals can get what they need from the water.

good call on the liquid API kit.

the lfs said what could be from overfeeding? the cloudiness? that could contribute, how often do you feed and how much?

I was referring to emotions which are absent in fish, not physical health. Sorry if I was confusing.

To the OP, Bonz. You asked a question you got answers. Tangs do not belong in a tank under 6' period. You have too many fish, period. You overfeed, period.

It is your tank not mine. Do what you want. Go ahead and listen to your LFS and keep bringing lots of money to give to them for more equipment and chemicals.

I was referring to emotions which are absent in fish, not physical health. Sorry if I was confusing.

i wasnt gonna post on this thread again but i dragged your name in here so i'll apologize for that.

but now i know, so ill remember that, thanks for clearing that up.

I do not mean to disrespect anyone and appreciate the information. I will do more research about the tang. I am getting too many different opinions about it. As far as the bioload, the frequent water changes I am doing, the readings i am getting along with a good protein skimmer with live rock are fine right now. As long as the system is fine ill keep it as is, but im definitely not adding anything else. I figured out the cloudiness issue and fixed the problem. If anyone has good links about the tang, please let me know. I will talk to lfs about what they are saying to me if they want to keep my business.

Back
Top Bottom