How to clue coral frag disc to rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lujp16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have an issue lately. Since I added a sea urchin and it keeps knocking off my corals and tends to carry them with it.

I have tried to use epoxy to bond the discs to the rock under water. It doesn't work very well. How do you glue frags to live rocks under water the rock is too big and too messy to be lifted out of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would just get rid of the urchin. They seem to do more damage then good in an aquarium

Use both super glue and epoxy, put a little super glue on both sides (one to help hold the coral in the putty, and one to go to the rocks), the super glue will "cure" quicker than the putty and hold it in place until the putty hardens.

Thanks to all replies. I ll try super glue and epoxy tonight. Since I already have both and sounds promising.

I like the putty, i usually have to use enough for it to be able to grab or wrap around a little crevice. I sometimes mix it, let it mostly harden, and then place it.

I did super glue and worked good. I took the frag out to wipe dry the bottom of the disc. Apply glue and hold upside down in the tank for 30 sec to allow glue to dry in the air while coral in the water. Then I hold it in place where I want it to be glued on for 10 sec.

No stress to the coral is observed. Went thriving after a couple minutes back into the water. Most importantly my fingers don't smell from the epoxy.

In the future I think I will use putty to flat out the surface where I want the coral to be and just glue it in place once putty hardens.

Back
Top Bottom