how to culture rotifers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will need a continuous supply of them. (for future dwarf seahorses) i am ordering a starter pack off this website. it comes with 200 rotifers, everything i need to culture them. and it comes with instructions. its just they don't answer emails so I just wanted to get some background information on what Im getting myself into. I decided I'm going to use a 5 gallon bucket, with a 5 gallon heater, and an air stone or thats what I hear i need! any tips? how to? full explanation would be helpful :)

-Dylan

You can do without the heater, room temp is fine. Take a look at Reed maricultures site, lots of info and the best cultures.

Thanks. Im probably going to change and buy from Reeds.

-Dylan

5 gallon is fine.start with saltwater at around 1.018-1.020,water temp needs to be around the 20 mark,to cold and they won't reproduce,don't use an air stone just use some air hose placed 2/3 down the bucket and have 1 bubble/sec coming out.keep the bucket covered.You've probably got 200ml not 200 rots,feed the rots with the liquid algae just enough to keep the water a light green throughout the whole day,don't harvest any on the first 3 days.then harvest using a 50 micron sieve.remove 1/3 of the water whilst harvesting,rinse sieve in to your tank then replace the 1/3 of water with clean saltwater.I remove the whole culture into a new bucket every 2 weeks.feed the rots 10 mins before you harvest them to give your horses a boost.
hope this helps
david

David S said:
5 gallon is fine.start with saltwater at around 1.018-1.020,water temp needs to be around the 20 mark,to cold and they won't reproduce,don't use an air stone just use some air hose placed 2/3 down the bucket and have 1 bubble/sec coming out.keep the bucket covered.You've probably got 200ml not 200 rots,feed the rots with the liquid algae just enough to keep the water a light green throughout the whole day,don't harvest any on the first 3 days.then harvest using a 50 micron sieve.remove 1/3 of the water whilst harvesting,rinse sieve in to your tank then replace the 1/3 of water with clean saltwater.I remove the whole culture into a new bucket every 2 weeks.feed the rots 10 mins before you harvest them to give your horses a boost.
hope this helps
david

1/3 of the water each day?!

-Dylan

1/3 of the water each day?!

-Dylan
thats what I do but as yours is for a couple of horses(I use mine for clownfish fry) you could make it less but no smaller than 1 gallon.you need to keep rots culturing,even if you dont need them you must harvest quite a lot so they dont grow,you only need them as babies.

And then do you fill it up with fresh with new SW? Do you buy prepared or mix it yourself.? It must cost a lot new SW each day! And just curious you breed clowns? What size tank is it for the pair?

-Dylan

I have a 22gallon container just for new saltwater,I mix myself.My clowns are in a 60g(uk) tank,I mark my rot container and any evap is topped up with RO/DI water and replace any water removed with the exact same amount of fresh salt water.You can always put some of your culture into a sealed container with dark green water and put that in the fridge for up to 2 weeks so you can start new cultures if you ever have problems.Any rots I dont use for the fry goes into my display tank.I only use rots for the first 10 days for the fry,so my cultures are restared when needed.

Yes but for me I will need an endless supply. So replacing a gallon of water each day sounds impossible.

-Dylan

You don't need to take the water out. Is a rotti sieve to filter them out, this returns the water to the bucket. Rinse the rotti and put them in you ponie tank. Every 2 weeks filter and dispose of half the water

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom