How to cut down aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently added another GBR to my 40b and this little male is AGGRESSIVE. He is about an 1" long, but he is chasing everything in the tank (2 female, 1 male apisto, the neons, and the really weird part...the otos). The one fish he's not messing with is my big old male GBR, most likely because he would whoop his stupid *** in seconds.

My question is what can I do to calm him down? Should I add a few female GBRs? What can I do here?

Is he just chasing them or is he trying to cause damage? If he is just chasing them then just keep an eye on him and separate if needed. He's likely just making himself known. Things that can help are some tall plants to break the line of sight and lots of hiding places for the other fish. He should calm down after a bit.

Ive been watching him all day. It looks like most of the time he's just chasing them around (but I mean AROUND the tank), then sometimes he'll ram a fish (I watched him ram an oto). If he's just trying to get his name out there he's doing a **** good job lol. He is stressing my 2 female apistos out to the point they turn clear, then he goes after something else.

I'm going to see if I can pick up some slate pieces or something to make some caves this week. Do you think adding females would help or make things worse?

If he's still a juvenile then adding females after there's already 2 there wont help. IMO.
I'd just create more hiding spots as u mentioned and hope he settles in abit.

Cichlid Kid said:
If he's still a juvenile then adding females after there's already 2 there wont help. IMO.
I'd just create more hiding spots as u mentioned and hope he settles in abit.

I have 2 female apistos, not rams. I only have 2 male GBRs in the tank as of now

I guess the big old male has had enough of the little guy terrorizing everyone. Anytime he goes near one of the apistos or otos he gets a real good ram, oncer he almost knocked him out of the water lol. Hes sticking up for everyone else in the tank it seems, hopefully everything goes back to normal soon.

I'm picking up some slate Friday and I'm going to make a huge structure of caves in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom