How to deal with overstocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
15gal tank.

Ok so my tank *used* to be understocked. I recently aquired 20some odd guppies and now my tank is deffinatly overstocked. I run a powerhead with sponge, and a HOB with a sponge.

So my tnak is now overstocked, I manage the food closly, and the tank just decided to "recycle" so i'm managing that as well. Becasue of the cycling i'm doing PWG (small ones) every day.

My question, What can I do to keep the tank healthy? I know the guppies will breed soon and I intend to get rid of the babies (actaully i'm hoping the othe fish will eat them). What can I do to help manage the bio-load?

BTW planted tank, 15gal tall

The 20 guppies pushed it over the edge.

Ummm 20 some odd guppies
2 corrys
1 otto
3 Zebras
4-6Cherry Red Shrimp

Only a few of the shrimp are full grown, everything else just juvis

Would there be any use for another filter? Anything without giving more fish the flush? Sadly dont have another tank around here :(

Did someone dump the guppies on you? Just curious why you took 20 guppies knowing it would overstock your tank? I would just do extra water changes to keep the levels in check. And, maybe try to find homes for some of them if you can.

Yea somone was dismanteling a tank and said they had like 10 guppies... well they didn't and I didn't have the heart to flush them... yet. I actually have my transport tank still, mabey 5 gallons, Guess I can go get an airstone and some tubing for it and dump them in there.

Well, don't flush them. Take them to your lfs and give them to them. I think you'll be ok as long as you are diligent with the water changes.

Yea I wont flush them if they are alive. But to take a $1 worth of guppies to the store is alot of work lol

Catching some fish and carrying not even half a bucket of water is hard work?

other then that set up ur Transport tank like you said. it's the only option you have seeing as you don't like "hard work"

A bit crule there Defekt, I actually dont have a car and the aquarium shop is 5mi away. No buses run there, normally I bike.

Well, maybe next time you go, you could just use a backpak or something to take them with you. Where there is a will, there is a way. After all, you got them and your other fish to your house right? :wink:
Anyway, you could set up your transport tank. Your gonna have to do lots of water changes on that as well since it will be uncycled. I think you'll be ok til you can come up with some way to rehome them.

Thanks Defket.

Fluff Yea i got water in it, 50% from the old tank. Hopfully it will be good soon.

Actually, adding water from your old system doesn't help cycle the tank. You would need to add some filter media or gravel, plants, or ornaments. Things that actually carry the beneficial bacteria. If you can move some of that from your existing tank, you should be good. But, still watch the parameters just to be sure.

Do you know anyone else that keeps fish that would be able to take some of them for you? Or perhaps put a notice up on a local community board for free guppies. Contact the local aquarium society. I'm sure you can get someone that would be interested in coming to get some free fish. :D

Yea i've been looking for people in my dorm but no such luck, one guy is intrested but has no tank. I'll see if I can find an Aquarium society.

You might try talking to people in your classes who might have aquarium at their homes, rather than limiting yourself to your dorm mates.

Also, is the lfs close to something that a lot of your dorm mates might need, like the grocery store? If so, maybe you can ride with one of them fairly soon and take the fish then. I was always one of the lucky ones in college, I had a car, but it also meant that I did a lot of helpful driving places. With the price of gas these days I probably wouldn't ask for a special trip on my account, but if they are going there anyway......

Back
Top Bottom