how to get more watts (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy2331

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm sure this is a simples question for most of you but until a couple weeks ago i never put any though into tank lighting. I have decided to add some real plants, probably just start with java moss and java fern.

My tank is a 55 gallon and only has 2 17 watt bulbs. I know the java moss/fern will live in that condition but from what i've heard it may grow very very slow if at all.

any simple things i can do to get some more wattage?

img_579342_0_41906d9317c266b7409ffb8054ea25c9.jpg

img_579342_1_78c251e33f09540ca633df6b9addbeb2.jpg

img_579342_2_5a4539b6efdafdf15eed5d78c395be6c.jpg

Pick up a glass top, remove everything on top of your tank, install the glasstop, pick up a 4' 2 bulb shoplight from home depot (T8 is better, t12 is fine), 2 philips daylight deluxe or natural sunshine bulbs of the appropriate caliber, put it on top and plug it in. You'll be running about 1.6WPG with T12's and 1.9WPG with T8's.. (Typical T8 fixture won't have "wings", so you'll need to build it up with wood to get it off the glass, but it makes opening the lid with HOB filters easier.)

Total cost. 15$ for glasstops, 15$ for shoplight with bulbs (25$ if you choose the T8 route)

Or you can look into coralife 2' single 65w PC's, but that will put you into Co2 territory.

See what others say aswell.

thanks for the help. I should have mentioned that this tank is almost brand new and in our redecorated living room. If if i have to chose between using a glass top with some shop lights and fake plants, I gotta go with the fake plants. Is there anything i can do to keep the original hoods on? I'd have no problem ripping the ballasts out and installing a different set up as long as it would look original when i was done.

Another option is to buy a 2x55 kit from ah-supply and install their stuff into your existing hoods. You have to remotely mount the ballast but it looks very neat.

Hoovercat said:
Another option is to buy a 2x55 kit from ah-supply and install their stuff into your existing hoods. You have to remotely mount the ballast but it looks very neat.

That looks like it may be my best bet. I really don't want to get into co2 so wouldn't a 1x36 or 1x55 be enough for low light plants?

keep in mind i have two hoods so all those watts would be doubled.

You might be better off with the 36's for now but once you start planting you'll probably wish you'd gotten 55's. If you want, you can get the 50/50 cf bulbs where half is actinic and thus not as useful to plants. That will keep you under 2wpg. A 2x55 kit was meant to do both hoods.

Hoovercat said:
You might be better off with the 36's for now but once you start planting you'll probably wish you'd gotten 55's. If you want, you can get the 50/50 cf bulbs where half is actinic and thus not as useful to plants. That will keep you under 2wpg. A 2x55 kit was meant to do both hoods.

:oops:

I was thinking it was 2 55 watt bulbs in one hood :lol: Since the prices are only a couple dollars more for the 2x55 i think i'll get that kit.

and just so i don't make a very stupid mistake

Item # 30552 2 x 55 watt Bright Kit™ for $64.99

Includes: one 14 ounce, solid-state electronic ballast that will operate two bulbs; two 22 inch long multi-angle MIRO 4 enhanced, polished aluminum reflectors, two moisture-resistant endcaps with cords; four steel bulb holders; one grounding power cord; wirenuts, screws and other hardware needed for installation; optional-use pop-in vent covers, snap bushing, cord strain relief bushing, UV resistant cord clamp and threaded nylon spacers; and ballast operation information and wiring diagram. Requires two 55 watt compact fluorescent bulbs (not included).

with 2 55 watt 21.1-5" bulbs (i'm not sure about the Color Temp???)

I was going to suggest you plug it into a 220v circuit like the one your washer and dryer run on. That would easily double your . . . Oh watts, watts . . .

Disclaimer: Please do not follow any electrical advice given to you by Mr. Simonson. He has burned down more than one house with faulty tips that he has suggested will lead to higher light levels. :p

Actually, I would order 2 of the 1x55watt kits, so you get two separate ballasts that can be controlled separately on timers if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom