how to grow coraline algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyma10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 Fowler tank planning to go on reef tank but I'm trying to get coraline algea to grow first I stareted bout a month ago and I have a couple of large rocks and a.couple of small one the small ones have patches of coraline algea on them but I put them there so it can speed the process all I'm seeing right know is just regular little bits of brown algea on the walls am I supposed to scrape it off or just leave I also bought some purple tech as a booster but still no signs of coraline algea
Sorry for the long story:)

reyma10 said:
I have a 55 Fowler tank planning to go on reef tank but I'm trying to get coraline algea to grow first I stareted bout a month ago and I have a couple of large rocks and a.couple of small one the small ones have patches of coraline algea on them but I put them there so it can speed the process all I'm seeing right know is just regular little bits of brown algea on the walls am I supposed to scrape it off or just leave I also bought some purple tech as a booster but still no signs of coraline algea
Sorry for the long story:)

You do not need anything to grow coralline but time, intense enough lighting, proper/stable parameters, and coralline present.

It takes months, pouring in bottles of 'stuff' will not help the process along. What lighting do you have? Calcium, alk, mag, strontium etc must be at proper levels and stay there. Since this is not a reef tank those levels may be your problem.

Just curious why you want/need coralline before going reef? It takes time.

I have a t8 single 50/50 bulb I run it 12 hours daily and I'm using a product called microbe lift all in one that mentions all the things u said that was needed like mag calcium and all that stuff I dose 10ml weekly like it says and using a product called.purple teck and also dose 5 ml biweekly and about why start growing coraline algea first its because a friend told me when I had coraline algea growing only then I can start placing corals in my tank

Coraline algae is not needed to place corals. It helps keep unwanted algae away and looks pretty and that's about it. If coraline algae gets to out of control it can mess up ur equipment.

Coralline growth will also be inhibited by dissolved organics (nitrates, phosphates). By looking at the pic in the Nano section, there is Cyanobacteria and hair algae growing in the tank. This says that you have nitrates and phosphates. If this problem is taken care of, coralline will come. You will also need a much stronger light to keep corals. This will also help coralline to grow better.
Take time to figure out where the organics are coming from, get them lowered, get a stronger light, and coralline will grow. You don't need all the additives.

The above stated is correct. Ive been battling a prob w/ this in my 55. Now that the hair algae is gone and the snot algae is vanishing im starting to see coraline algae growing.

The mini pic is.a ten gallon tank that I have and yea I'm having prob wit cyanobacteria but I'm doing weekly water changes and leaving the light off but I'm going to post my 55 gallon pic so you guys can check it out also I'm having this light brown algea growing on my walls should I scrape it or just leave it there

1 month in soon to be reef

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120713_163721.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120713_163721.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20120713_163733.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120713_163733.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20120713_163748.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120713_163748.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 96
Sorry Reyma, I just assumed you were talking about the same tank, my mistake!
Yeah, I would just keep cleaning the glass, siphoning out what you can, if possible. Most tanks do require cleaning the glass about once a week, some more, some less. Mostly dependent on amount of dissolved organics and quantity/quality of lighting. More organics/more light/ more algae, less=less. Old bulbs will also create more algae. When bulbs get too old, their color temperature changes, to a wavelength more suitable for plant growth. They say about a year for T5 bulbs, and they are no good anymore.

reyma10 said:
I have a t8 single 50/50 bulb I run it 12 hours daily and I'm using a product called microbe lift all in one that mentions all the things u said that was needed like mag calcium and all that stuff I dose 10ml weekly like it says and using a product called.purple teck and also dose 5 ml biweekly and about why start growing coraline algea first its because a friend told me when I had coraline algea growing only then I can start placing corals in my tank

First off a single t8 50/50 bulb will not grow coralline algae or corals in 55g tank. Upgrade you lighting significantly.

Also never dose anything without testing, i would stop dosing anything.

How much rock do you have. I've always heard at least one lb per gallon. Try to get some more rock and try to get more w coraline on it. After you get more in there to seed it, turn off filters for a bit and scrape away some coraline to let it spread around maybe an hr or so.

Thanks guys for the great info ill change some stuff up and keep you guys posted on progress

Back
Top Bottom