How to hand/mount this light??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have purchased a 100w metal halide grow lite by Sunlight Supply (see picture) for my 30 gallon hex aquarium. I am baffled as to the best best way to hang/mount this light. What are your recommendations. I have read of someone just resting it over the glass on the aquarium - is this hard on the light, will heat be a problem or not since the lamp is enclosed in a metal casing?

Should the light be suspended? Build into a hood?

I know nothing about these lights and want to what's right. I am open to all recommendations that don't cost a small fortune!

TIA
Carolyn

From the looks of it there is a threaded arm where you can attach the box to something. I wouldnt just sit it on a glass cover as the MH bulb is going to be putting out a ton of heat and if you have alot of water splashing on the hot glass it can break and drop the fixture into the water cuasing more problems.

It might be possible to drill some holes in the top of the light box and secure this to a wooden canopy. I would use some standoffs to give some air space between the fixture and the canopy. Remember the heat generated by the unit and provide ample ventalation.

If you want to keep it in the enclosure I would fashion a mount on the wall allowing you to perch the light a few inches above your glass tops.

If it were me I would remove the ballast and fixture fromt he enclosure and do retrofit into a hood.

Back
Top Bottom