How to house a goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... does outgrow mean like can't fit in tank anymore or can't be biologically sustained?
Should I trade him in for a fancy goldfish? lol
10 -15 seems like the biggest I can use or afford.
It'll outgrow it in a year but it can still live a lot longer, no?
Is it unbearable for the fish when it "outgrows" a tank?
Thanks.

So... does outgrow mean like can't fit in tank anymore or can't be biologically sustained?
Should I trade him in for a fancy goldfish? lol
10 -15 seems like the biggest I can use or afford.
It'll outgrow it in a year but it can still live a lot longer, no?
Is it unbearable for the fish when it "outgrows" a tank?
Thanks.

1. Either way is pretty much just as bad.
2. You could ask.
3/4. It won't live long if it outgrows it. It can cause bone development problems and stunt his/her growth.

Won't live long?
How big is this guy's tank?

First of all, English helps :D
Second, this is not a common occurrence. you can't say "oh, well one out of a million fish live to be 43 in a small tank, mine will too" you see? most common goldfish will outgrow a 15 gallon tank. in the end, it is your decision how to keep your goldfish. maybe you will be that 2nd in a million, but don't count on it. if your fish outgrows it's space, it's life expectancy will be stunted. plus, if you do decide on a 10 or 15 gallon tank, expect to be doing PWC's very frequently to keep the water quality acceptable. is the reason you can't go bigger because you cannot afford it? if that's the case, have you looked around on craigslist for a used tank? you can find some really good deals on there, most people selling their tanks also sell all or most of the equipment you will need with it.

Thanks for the tips; I'll see what I can do.

Are you absolutely sold on a goldfish? There are a lot of other fish that would do better in a 10 gallon that are very pretty (bettas for one example)

Yeah, I guess I could send him back to the store or ask if they can throw him in with the feeders at my lfs. At least he'd have a purpose in life.

Yeah, I guess I could send him back to the store or ask if they can throw him in with the feeders at my lfs. At least he'd have a purpose in life.

Do you have any room for an outdoor pond? As i said before you can find pond kits and ponds on craigslist for super cheap and if your set on goldfish then this really would be the best bet and it would allow you to even have more goldies.

Good point... I'll see what I can do. I think a giant Rubbermaid tub would be better... How would I filter/aerate one?

My shunbunkin lived 10 years and grew to 8inches before he died of I think was parasites. (outdoor pond).

You filter it the same way you would filter any tank of equivalent volume.

Back
Top Bottom