How to keep algae down in a 2.5 gal fry tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soh15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a paddy that is getting ready to pop. I just went out and got a cheap 2.5 gal tank with a bottom filter. I just set it up an will run a few days and they put her in it. I was wondering after she has them what can I do to keep it clean of algae. Can I use snails, Shrimp? Or just clean it alot. I figured they would not really like a water change very much. Also it has no heater, Will room temp be ok till they get a little bigger?

That depends, what is your room temp? Is the tank by a window/door that can let in cold air? I know from experience that it is very hard to find a heater for a 2.5 gal tank and I have scoured St. Louis looking for one (yes I'm a native). In fact, now that I think of it, I don't know if they make one for a 2.5 gal. I purchased one from Wal-Mart for my 5 gal hex but it's not adjustable (temperature wise) and it doesn't seem to work at all. I then bought one that's not submersable but it's impossible to put that thing in the hex beacuse you'd have to cut the top off to get it in.

Snails are a good addition and I've found that mine clean up the algae very well. I've never tried shrimp so I'm not sure how well they would work.

I just found a small 25 wat Neptune heater, it is about 8 inches. $13 at petsmart, It is working great. I have her in the 2.5 tank now and it is already warming up. Looks like it will be soon. Guess I will try a small snail from the LFS. Thanks for your reply.

Well I have two 2 1/2 gallon tanks and snails and the algae just seems to build up easier on the acrylic tanks. My glass tanks dont build up algae the same.

Anyhow they make plety of heaters 25w that work with a 2 1/2 I ordered some mini thermal heaters I think HAGEN?? they work great. I even have a 25w cheapo HAGEN on a 1.6 gal and it works like a charm.

I must be looking in the wrong place because the only heater I could find was at Wal-Mart and it didn't have a temp control. Then I found one at the lfs but it wasn't submersable and it's impossible to hang one of those on a 5 gal hex beause of the top. I think I'll search online stores.

I custom cut my 1.6 to fit my heater. :) used a dremel tool.

I ordered the under water 25w heaters from drs foster & smith

I just ordered a 25w from bigalsonline - they had a couple available! (just FYI) I bought the Walmart one too but after seeing it has no temp control I am returning it.

Back
Top Bottom