How to keep cycle during vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dje158

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We do not have any reliable people nearby to take care of our betta fish so we take them on vacation with us. It took months to get their tanks cycled. Last time we went away, I set up an automatic fish feeder as advised to try to keep the cycle.. Not only did this leave a big mess but it did not work. I completely lost the cycle in one (0 nitrates upon return) & the other had very low nitrate levels but took almost 2 weeks to get the cycle back. We are about to go on vacation again. Is it possible to keep the cycle going? Leaving the fish is not an option. One appears to have severe vision issues & has to be hand fed. I will not leave them without food for 7 days, even though many insist that bettas can go 2 weeks without food.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Hi, I’ve used auto fish feeders ok but found they need to be setup and tested / dialled in before I leave.

The tank bacteria won’t die in a week though if that helps.

I am not trying to be ornery , but I am always disturbed by people that take on this hobby of ours and insist that nature bend to our will , our needs . It does not work that way . If you can't find anyone to take care of your tanks while you are gone and the fish are so disabled to not last a week on algae and biofilm , then I think you are asking too much from this hobby . I have and have had tanks for years and I can go on vacation for 1 or 2 weeks with no ill effects when I return . I keep my tanks well and just do a good clean/water change the day before I leave and the tank will care for itself after that till I get home and the fish will find something to eat if it is an established tank . If you care that much about the disabled fish , then don't go and stay home and take care of it . But you are going to do as you see fit and as Dellapool said the cycle will last for a week . Good luck to whatever you decide .

Throw some mosquito larvae or something in there. It will be fine for a week.

Back
Top Bottom