How to lose your hair in 29 gallons.My BC 29 build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
IO reef crystals? Sorry really new here. I thought (from reading online) I needed essential elements, calcium, iodine and Kent part A and B at least. The Internet can make things very very very complicated as well as help at the same time.

I googled it, I get my water pre made by my LFS,it's a friend of mine so I get a 5 gallon bucket every Friday for free.

Instant Ocean reef crystals. It's a salt mix that has the basic essential elements for a reef system

You shouldnt even be worrying about dosing now. LOL You have a really long way to even get to where that might be necessary. I'm just now having issues with my 125g and may have to go into two part dosing but I have more corals than the biocube could even fit. lol

Even if the cube was stocked to the brim with sps and other element depleting corals, a simple water change is all that is needed to keep your levels of every trace element perfect. And a rule to live by: NEVER dose anything you can't test for.

Instant Ocean reef crystals. It's a salt mix that has the basic essential elements for a reef system

Where or how would I use it if I'm getting my water pre mixed from my LFS? and if I use that I don't need any chems? I keep reading about calcium and essential elements. This is A LOT to take in.:hide:

You shouldnt even be worrying about dosing now. LOL You have a really long way to even get to where that might be necessary. I'm just now having issues with my 125g and may have to go into two part dosing but I have more corals than the biocube could even fit. lol

Even if the cube was stocked to the brim with sps and other element depleting corals, a simple water change is all that is needed to keep your levels of every trace element perfect. And a rule to live by: NEVER dose anything you can't test for.

Thanks!! I'm gonna save my money and just do my weekly water changes. Nothing but some CUC members so far...

I was skimming through some books and websites I got NERVOUS!! :blink:

Plus my water is all pre made ready for pickup,every Friday like clock work and my water has been tested 3x a week so far,we went through a HUGE Nitrite spike and Phosphates were through the roof, my buddy gave me 10 gallons of pre mixed water and said do 1 5 gallon wc and the next day do the other,gave me a filter pad to help remove phosphates, tested water and levels were on the money,last check everything was good except my phosphates again, so I changed out he filter pad and cut another small piece to add...

slow and steady will win this race.

Last edited:
Coral dipping/Fish dipping????

I've been researching online and found many different opinions about "dipping" does it need to be done? I've read about freshwater dips for fish and CoralRX for corals.

Seems there is something for EVERYTHING!! What's what here? When I'm ready just so I'm clear, I don't need ANYTHING but my weekly water changes? I'm sorry for repeating myself I just like to be prepared. I want to have everything I'm gonna need before I start adding anything.

Water changes really are all they are cracked up to be. They provide the food for your corals and will keep your parameters good. As long as they are done frequently.

Some people choose to feed their corals whcih isn't necessary but can be helpful. The only thing to keep in mind is when you feed any food into your tank the only way to get it out is to take it out. I was feeding my pico heavily and found the water parameters went south because of the excess nutrients. :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot, dipping. lol I use coralrx for my corals. I do now more than before but after a flatworm outbreak I learned my lesson. You never know what can hitch a ride into your tank.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, dipping. lol I use coralrx for my corals. I do now more than before but after a flatworm outbreak I learned my lesson. You never know what can hitch a ride into your tank.

Ok cool, so I'll grab some, like I said, I like to have everything before hand.

Thanks.

Yup its definitly important to dip. When you put the coral in the dip you can see all of the pests and things swimming around and dying. Most are little sea stars or worms

carey said:

Yup! I just dipped the other week..and tons if crazy things come off of the coral!! Shrimp, astrea stars...WORMS!

The stuff smells BAD though. When i say BAD in all caps..i mean it. Lol

Yup! I just dipped the other week..and tons if crazy things come off of the coral!! Shrimp, astrea stars...WORMS!

The stuff smells BAD though. When i say BAD in all caps..i mean it. Lol

Sounds like it's worth it so I'll make sure to get it so when I'm ready I have it.

To dip lr just raise salinity to about 1.040-1.045 and put in the rock. All the pests will rush out the rock :) But it shouldn't be done to rock with coral on it

Yea Dino I dip all coral that I buy & all coral i frag to give to others. keeps bad crap out. & x2 on CoralRx it's awesome & honestly smells like lime/lemon juice more than anything else

NyteGTI said:
Yea Dino I dip all coral that I buy & all coral i frag to give to others. keeps bad crap out. & x2 on CoralRx it's awesome & honestly smells like lime/lemon juice more than anything else

Ok Ryan, I'm gonna buy some.

It wasn't as fun doing my BC 29. I ended up really sick and my wife got sick, she's going for surgery Thursday and... My son got sick :(

With that said. My buddy at Village Pets in Mamaroneck, N.Y. Set my tank for me. He was a huge help. And I HAVE to thank Ryan for all his help also! Thanks bro! So here it is...

Water was tested yesterday.
Temp is a bit high I think? 78-80
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrates 10
Nitrites 0
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1230
Salinity 1.025
I believe he said my Alkalinity was low? 110ppm

That's yesterday's reading, doing a 5 gallon water change today at some point. I get the water pre made from him. I just bring it home add a cheap power head I have and a heater and wait for it to reach my tanks temp. I blow the rocks off with a turkey baster. At the time of water change I replace the filter floss in the inTank media basket. I run inTanks media basket like this. 1 filter floss 2 Purigen 3 chaeto. I have a JBJ led light on the rear of the tank, I had to remove more paint so the light would hit the chaeto. I have to rotate the chaeto about once or twice a week to get a good growth rate.

Any ideas with chaeto? Someone had said put a airline hose in there and hook it up to a air pump so the algae will turn or spin so I don't have to do it. Anyone have suggestions? I had part of my previous chaeto die off because light wasn't hitting the back. Advice on this would be appreciated.

So here are a few pics. Hope you like them.

So far things are going ok. The flame angel and the 2 bengi cardinals have been re homed :(

So What I've kept;
2 scooter blennys
2 clowns
1 Coral beauty
1 harlequin shrimp( I feed her a chocolate star)
lost; :(
1 Purple spotted goby
2 purple fire fish

CUC;
2 cleaner shrimp (skunk shrimp?)
1 blood shrimp
3 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
2 turbo snails
3 blue leg hermits
3 red led hermits
7 nerite snails
10 Nassarius snails

I think that's the number. I went to reef cleaners and they built me a CUC based on my tank and I sent them pictures and a video. They said the tank looked clean so there recommended CUC would be too much for my tank as of right now.

Well here ya go.... I know it's a lot at once and I'm sure some are gonna have a lot to say. I will take the advice and opinions with respect if respect is given. I kinda rushed things I know.

However I would like to keep a positive outlook on things.

Oh and lighting is the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. It's at 50% for noon right now. Tunze 9002 skimmer. inTank media rack. Upgraded pump to the MJ 1200 and 2 koralia nano 425's. Chamber 1 is the heater and chemi pure elite, Chamber 2 is the skimmer and media rack and chamber 3 is the pump.

View attachment 81652

View attachment 81653

View attachment 81654

View attachment 81655

View attachment 81656

View attachment 81657

View attachment 81658

View attachment 81659

View attachment 81660

View attachment 81661

View attachment 81662

View attachment 81664