How to lose your hair in 29 gallons.My BC 29 build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question:

Most know what I've been going through with my other tank so I had a quick question. Water tests came back near perfect after the Nitrite spike I had. Can I add anything? Maybe like a snail or shrimp? Anything? No rush and I like just looking at the rocks and sand, and also I'm getting diatom algae, not sure if that means anything...

Also my skimmer is starting to pic up some dark green gunk,it's the Tunze 9002. It's working fine I just noticed I starting getting foam and green junk in the inTank box,does that mean anything? I took the shrimp out but every few days I was adding flake food since I haven't done anything else.

Last edited:
if your numbers are good it's time for a CuC :) grab some snails & hermits and watch the little guys clean

I'm trying out a 1 per 2 gallon ratio on hermits & a 1per 3 gallon on turbo /astrea snails and the same for nessarius snails but you wont need the ness until you have fish really. but they're cool to watch come out at night from ther sandbed & feed.

NyteGTI said:
I'm trying out a 1 per 2 gallon ratio on hermits & a 1per 3 gallon on turbo /astrea snails and the same for nessarius snails but you wont need the ness until you have fish really. but they're cool to watch come out at night from ther sandbed & feed.

Cool, gonna go see John today.

Haven't gotten around to putting any thing in the tank yet but here's something strange. Last night under the moonlights I see something crawling on a rock. I move to the glass and I'm staring at this tiny green crab? Can that be? I swear it was a crab! It had the claws and it was picking at the rock then went into the tiniest hole and was gone.

Really cool to see though. Should I be concerned? I have a vision of tons of these crabs killing corals etc once I add them. Who knows how many are in there.

joy13 said:
Green crab, you might want to look up emerald crab and see if that is it or if you can find it here Crab Hitch Hikers

Thanks! It looked like a baby of this.

View attachment 74621

Does this mean I'm in trouble? And also if there's one does it mean there's more? Well at least there's nothing on the tank so if I have to I'll just pick the rock out that he went in, hopefully he didn't move around but who knows.

Last edited:
I love my emerald crab. just once you get corals you gotta watch them because some are coral nippers & some aren't. I've had mine for abotu a month with coral & he'll snuggle up next to my Acans but never touches them. i think he just uses them for shelter from the flow lol

NyteGTI said:
I love my emerald crab. just once you get corals you gotta watch them because some are coral nippers & some aren't. I've had mine for abotu a month with coral & he'll snuggle up next to my Acans but never touches them. i think he just uses them for shelter from the flow lol

Cool! I hope mine doesn't nip anything. But with my luck? Haha this thing will grow to be a foot big and destroy everything in the tank then open the hood and throw a rock at my head while I'm sleeping screaming "snap into a slim jim!!!"

Haha!! Could happen...

don't worry it only gets to about 1.5" so nothing huge.. they're interesting little guys. mine loves to sit on the top of a big rock in my cube & reach for nori when I feed it to him every other day. he's awesome

NyteGTI said:
don't worry it only gets to about 1.5" so nothing huge.. they're interesting little guys. mine loves to sit on the top of a big rock in my cube & reach for nori when I feed it to him every other day. he's awesome

Thanks Ryan so I guess I have my first little tank buddy! Should I be feeding this guy? Don't want him to starve.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks Ryan so I guess I have my first little tank buddy! Should I be feeding this guy? Don't want him to starve.

Oh you got an emerald crab?! Sweeet! Haha i just feed my clown and shrimp new life spectrum pellets! Haha

No problem. If you've got algae in the tank he wont starve. my snails & hermits took care of the majority of my algae that the emerald could reach so i spot feed him. mainly its for my fun because it's cool to hand feed the little guy.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh you got an emerald crab?! Sweeet! Haha i just feed my clown and shrimp new life spectrum pellets! Haha

Haha! Yeah man just came outta nowhere!! Coolest thing to watch!

NyteGTI said:
No problem. If you've got algae in the tank he wont starve. my snails & hermits took care of the majority of my algae that the emerald could reach so i spot feed him. mainly its for my fun because it's cool to hand feed the little guy.

All I have is a diatom bloom right now. Not sure if that means anything as far as the stage the tank is in.

he'll eat literally anything. you could drop sinking cichlid pellts in the tank & he'd devour them lol. al up to you. I'm probably going to be picking up some raw shrimp & dicing that up for him & spot feeding some corals small pieces.

NyteGTI said:
he'll eat literally anything. you could drop sinking cichlid pellts in the tank & he'd devour them lol. al up to you. I'm probably going to be picking up some raw shrimp & dicing that up for him & spot feeding some corals small pieces.

Sounds good! As soon as I'm 100% sure my Cichlid tank is good I'll back and concentrate on the cube. But that heat issue is killing me. It's like 84 in there. I leave the back compartment open all day too! And I've used different thermometers.

are you running that LED on the back 24/7? I know LEDs aren't like normal lights but they do put out some form of heat.

NyteGTI said:
are you running that LED on the back 24/7? I know LEDs aren't like normal lights but they do put out some form of heat.

Nope the light on the back is 9pm to 6am.

Back
Top Bottom