How to lower ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bf bought peat moss to attempt to lower ours for when the angels are big enough to breed. Haven't tried it, don't know if it's safe yet. We were going to test it out in his new rimless, currently plant only, tank first.

Sent from my iPhone

There are some phosphate-based solutions available for this purpose. They'll lower and buffer your pH. I've never used them, though, and can't say anything about their effectiveness or safety.

Ask pet stores workers of which medication treatment is best for ph lowering, I use aqueous ph down/minus. It works well but if it doesn't lowers it then just use another dosage

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you are maintaining South American varieties such as tetras, angels or discus, then the addition of peat moss will do it for you. Tetra also makes "Blackwater extract" which will essentially do the same as peat moss, but faster and in liquid form. I have only ever used that with breeding discus.
Personally I always preferred peat in those type of set-ups. It tends to be more subtle and doesn't need to be added every water change.
Years and years ago they used to sell "peat plates" which were compressed slabs of peat moss, about 1/2" thick and about 8"x4", to be used under the substrate.
Not sure if they still sell those or not.
The only caveat to using peat or blackwater is it will tint the water, but that is easily alleviated by the use of activated carbon or Purigen.

Back
Top Bottom