How to mimic the natural environnement of the Tetras and GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coozle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have RummyNose, Cardinal, Neon and Black Neon tetras already in my 32Gal tank. Im getting the GBR's soon. But before I want to make the aquarium look more like their real life environnement. What do I have to add to make it look like so? I already have low light live plants.

make it look like the amazon. lots of plants and driftwood here's a link for a really good one
amazon_community.jpg

tk-irs1.jpg

my_aquarium.jpg

But I'm afraid the driftwood will affect my pH downwards and then after a while my pH will go back up.

the way to stop this is boil the driftwood for a couple weeks to get the tannins out. the ph would decrese slowly and not by too much, and when it rose again it'd be a slow rise.

But I'm afraid the driftwood will affect my pH downwards and then after a while my pH will go back up.

In reality, the amount that DW affects pH is pretty slight ... but you can boil / submerge DW in water for a few days to allow the Tannins to leach out. However some DW will still leach out some Tannins up to a month after it's been submerged. Still the effects on pH by then is small.

I see, so when it decreases and rises slowly, it won't affect nor my rams and nor my tetras?

When I was cycling my 10g tank, I had tannins leach from the driftwood I added to it, and it only softened the water a bit (lowered the KH) but didn't affect the pH. I guess it couldn't work the buffers low enough to lower the pH. Now, with weekly water changes, the tannins are never noticeable (if they're still leaching out of the DW).

Back
Top Bottom