how to move my pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
My common pleco has finally gotten a little too big for my 55gal, and i'd like to put him in my 75. The 75 has a lot fewer plants, and it has only a midas-reddevil cichlid crossbreed in it. I know that you aren't supposed to net plecos....but what would be the best way to transfer him over???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jenny

Think you could get a jar big enough for him to swim into? Just cap it quickly. Probably will have to bait him in there though.

or you could simply grab him, if he's big enough and put him into a bucket and put that in the tank to acclimate, although i think the pleco might be big (and therefore hardy enough) that acclimating might not be needed

the pleco is about 8" long so yes he is on the larger side. However, I was not aware that size had a direct relation to hardiness....does anyone else know if this is true? Also...is there any specific way i should pick him up so i don't hurt him?

usually for most species, they become hardier as they grow, and plecos are hardy to begin with, eight inches is pretty big too, i dont think you'll have any problems

You won't hurt him by picking him up.

I like the above poster's jar idea though. You could just put something like an algae wafer, piece of lettuce, or piece of zuchinni in and open jar and submerge it underwater. Then, once he is in it, you would take it out of the tank and drop it into the new tank (making sure that both tanks have near the same parameters first).

Plecs actually have a modified gut that allows them to swallow gulps of air, so they can do ok out of water for a little while. A friend recently moved her ancistrus gibbiceps from one tank to another as a precursor for her upgrade to a 6' tank, and just carried him through a couple of rooms.

I strongly advise that you carry him low down to the floor, with someone else holding a trough/bucket of tank water underneath just in case you have an accident ;-) :)

Don't pleco's have barbs on their fins? Picking up an 8" pleco with your hand could be a recipe for disaster.

I've heard the jar idea or something similar before. Keeps you from having to deal with the barb issue. I can also testify that I've picked up a 4" one with a net and had to pull his barbs out of it when I tried to release him into his new home.

JRagg said:
Don't pleco's have barbs on their fins? Picking up an 8" pleco with your hand could be a recipe for disaster.

ive picked up my 6 inch plec they have thougher skin, but not barbs that i felt

there is a knowledgeable fish customer that comes into my store every now and then, and she has told me abotu grabbing them by their head to avoid there sharp side fins(forgot the name)

now i know pictus catfish have sharp barbs on the dorsal and side fins. those are impossible to net up for customers

The side fins of plecos have a barb in them. If you catch it wrong it will hurt. I've seen pictures of people picking them up by the head though.

Pick them up from underneath, so it's lying flat on it's belly with your palms underneath it. I.e. cup your hands, and hold the fish inside that that way, and you will be fine. I've seen them handled by people before without a problem. The 'barbs' are actually just small spines and if you get one stuck in you it can hurt but it's nothing major.
The ones you have to watch for are dorsal...

they are very strong, so be ready. When I moved mine I bought a large, black net from the pet store. It worked fine and he didn't get snagged, but it isn't made from that cheap green netting. It was a bit tougher. It's a good net, my pictus didn't get snagged either.

Good luck!

i never got snagged by mine, but i could tell he had somewhat armored skin, i wouldnt clamp tightly around the pleco either.

they are decently strong, but you would be too, if you swam all day

good luck

Back
Top Bottom