how to outsmart a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

heres the problem. i have 10 danios in my 55 that i want to get out. the net method is not working too well and i dont want to pay for a trap, so i made my own. i looked at fancy diy ones, but this should work fine. i just attached two sucker cups to it and put some yummy frozen brine shrimp inside. the danios will swim in the top and be too stupid to swim out, hehe.

soon i should have a bottle full of danios.

Attachments

• trap_356.jpg
    trap_356.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 52
  • bottle_694.jpg
    bottle_694.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 36
Good luck getting them out ;).

You're going to have to cut it open to get them out of there.

oh man, a tetra is in there. the danios are swimming in and out. back to the drawing board.

haha, real hilarious. this is my new and improved bottle trap. this time i added a mesh top with a slit. now they will swim in and be confused. prepare to be amazed.

Attachments

• newnimproved_435.jpg
    newnimproved_435.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 32
  • improved_189.jpg
    improved_189.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
I've got a better idea.......cut the bottle about three inches from the top.....right around the first grove. Then invert the top of the bottle and push it into the base. Then you can just take the top off when you want to get the fish out. And that way you can get rid of the white net there.....it's probably making the fish turn away to a degree.

that is a good idea, but this will work too, the invisible door. i replaced the white mesh with saran wrap. when i get home later tonight, i should have a bottle full of danio's.

Attachments

• invisibledoor_123.jpg
    invisibledoor_123.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 31
Go danio trap! GO!

If it should not work...I just caught a herd of them out of my 55, too. With the plants, and the driftwood....

I took a regular 1-gallon Ziplock bag, sunk it in the tank, turned it sideways and held with one hand. Use the "scary blue net" to sloowwwwly steer them into the bag. Took about 10 minutes, but I got all 5 outta there.

Good luck-fingers crossed for the Danio Trap (patent pending). This time for sure.

lol. well the invisible door didnt work so well. i watched a danio freely swim in and out. the conclusion i got is that danio's are far more intellegent than suspected, much more than a tetra who cant figure out the exit. so i tried the method mentioned above and cut the top off and inverted it.

within 1 minute i had 7 fish, 5 danios and 2 tetras which are now safely in another tank. that makes 6 danios captured and 4 to go. the surprising thing is that even with the top inverted, danios still swim in and out, tetras go spastic.

Attachments

• hahaworked_743.jpg
    hahaworked_743.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 34
:) glad it worked for ya.........those damn danios can be a bugger.

aquarious said:
lol. well the invisible door didnt work so well. i watched a danio freely swim in and out. the conclusion i got is that danio's are far more intellegent than suspected, much more than a tetra who cant figure out the exit. so i tried the method mentioned above and cut the top off and inverted it.

within 1 minute i had 7 fish, 5 danios and 2 tetras which are now safely in another tank. that makes 6 danios captured and 4 to go. the surprising thing is that even with the top inverted, danios still swim in and out, tetras go spastic.

If you had the hole smaller it would work much better. The inverted bottle is the typical shape for most traps for all sorts of animals. You just need a smaller hole so its more difficult to accidentally get out. Look at all the bug traps. Big bag/bucket with a tiny inverted top.

Glad to hear your getting them though.

awesome! what a fantastic idea. I hate trying to catch danios, flying foxes, SAEs and CAEs. they are TOUGH.

This post made my day! Now, I can say danios are smarter than tetras!! Ha Ha Ha, I'm looking forward to more of your experiments!

I love your idea and design. I've also got danios and other Net Impossible: III species. I'm a DIY junkie, so this sort of project just appeals to me. That being said, here's what crossed my mind:

What about trapping right after a fasting day? That might make them stay in the trap a little longer, just because they're extra hungry. Maybe scaling up the size of the trap would help. Hmmm... Two liter trap, coming soon!

the hungrier the fish, the better. the entrance needs work, but i just wanted something simple and quick without ordering/shipping and paying for a trap. whenever i try to net a fish it disrupts and stresses the tank. i had to practicaly take the tank apart to net a clown loach once and by the time i caught it, the tank was completely whacked. unless a fish is sick and weak, they are hard to pull out of a planted and decorated tank.

I have a trap I used that's a two liter bottle with the top inverted. I found I can hold the trap over a net, dump the water back into the tank and the fish into the net.

Back
Top Bottom