How to: PPS-Pro fertilizing method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys, I posted a thread awhile back on PPS-Pro and how to do it. I'm back again and now that I have covered C02 and lighting off my list, next is fertilizers. I hear lots of great things about the "PPS-Pro" method, and researched it but its still confusing me. Can anyone make me a simple step by step list on how to to make the fert solution and whatnot, dosing, etc. I have a 60 gal. What supplies do I need, etc. a lot of people keep giving me links to the same things over and over but I still can't fully understand it. Is there like a special formula everyone goes by? Or what?? Thanks

Your trying to over think this, it's really simple. The fertilizer package has your nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and the CSM+B is your micro nutrients. These 4 packages you get are all you need. Plus 2- 1000ml dosing bottles from them too.

Then mix your macro solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (which is the 1000ml dosing bottle)

59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)

Fill with distilled or RO water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Next mix your Micro Solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (1000ml dosing bottle)

80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix

Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Also add 5ml of Excel to each 250ml of Micro and Macro mix
(20ml Excel to a 1000ml dosing bottle)

Thats it!

Dose 1ml to every 10 gallons of water in your tank so you want to dose 7.5ml of macro solution in one end of your tank, next dose 7.5ml of micro solution to the other end of the tank. Do this every morning.

Okay, so all I need from GLA is the green feet pack with micros and macros and 2 1000ml bottles and follow the formula you provided? And dose those amounts daily? Wow I guess I was over thinking it! Is there any tips I should know?

Simple PPS-Pro guide

PPS-pro is simply making two aqueous soloutions (chemicals dissolved in water).

One solution is of water, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, and Mono Potassium Phosphate. These are called your macro nutrients, because they are used in larger quantities.

Your second solution has your micro nutrients. This consists of a mixture of chemicals which is called "CSM+B". This solution contains Manganese, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Boron, Nickel and Molybdenum.

Once you make the solutions for these, you stir the solutions to dissolve all chemicals. Make you dissolve ALL of them. All you do then is simply add 1mL of each solution to your tank per 10 gallons, prior to when the lights turn on.

Quantities for solutions: You will want to get a simple chemical scale to measure the mass of chemicals added. You can find this on the internet easily.

First solution:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Then add 1 liter of distilled water.

Second solution:
80 grams of CSM+B
1 liter of distilled water

If you know anything about solution stochiometry you could figure out your own quantities of solution while maintaing the same molarity. If not don't worry about it this will do just fine.

You can get these chemicals online easily, some websites to check out:
Green Leaf Aquariums
Hydroponics information, resourses, buying and growing

I just posted my reply to see somebody else did too! lol aw man

I know the feel lcd1227. Whenever you spend half an hour typing up a detailed answer to a question only I find out another guy posted their answer about a minute before you. Lol, sorry man!

Okay, so all I need from GLA is the green feet pack with micros and macros and 2 1000ml bottles and follow the formula you provided? And dose those amounts daily? Wow I guess I was over thinking it! Is there any tips I should know?

Just be sure to add the excel at the dosage I gave to keep mold/fungus from growing in the solutions.

So whenever I mix up all the ferts and water, I add 20ml of the Excel to each bottle correct? How long do you think I would have before I run out and have to order another fert pack?

Do you have a gram scale? I got mine from Amazon for around 8 bucks shipped. Makes measuring out the dry ferts for mixing a breeze. You can get a set of funnels from the dollar store.

Yes that is what you do and you should be good for a year or so, can't say an exact time so it's just a guess going by what I'm using in my much bigger tank.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I get everything from amazon lol. Is there any other supplies I need?

And do I just pour the different ferts in a cup and weigh it until I have the correct amount?

American Weigh Signature Series Black Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 grams:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining
Is that a good scale? And again how do I measure the ferts?

Also I read you should add magnesium sulfate to the macros list...should I but a pound of MgSO4 with the green fert pack or is it optional? Which is better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thanks! And once I have all the correct measurements I pour the dry ferts in the 1000ml bottle and fill it up with distilled water? Like just distilled water from the store? I just ordered GLA's green fert pack plus 2 1000ml bottle with 2 day delivery :)

Sounds like you got it... Oh and you won't need MgSO4 unless your tap water is really soft.. I have hard water in AZ so i just skip MgSO4 from the pps-pro recipe.

I haven't tested my hardness level in about a month so I forgot what it was but according to my wife our pH is pretty high and I notice keeping stable at around 7.6 so I shouldn't have too soft water right?

I doubt you have hard water but it never hurts to have a KH and GH test kit. Plants do best if they have a hardness of around 4 for both GH and KH but it is also important for your snails. API makes a test kit that has an individual test for bot GH and KH.

I doubt you have hard water but it never hurts to have a KH and GH test kit. Plants do best if they have a hardness of around 4 for both GH and KH but it is also important for your snails. API makes a test kit that has an individual test for bot GH and KH.

Wow I did not know this!! Are any plants in particular sensitive about These levels? Just planted my 29 and need to buy the API GH and KH kit.

Wow I did not know this!! Are any plants in particular sensitive about These levels? Just planted my 29 and need to buy the API GH and KH kit.

Only certain plants like Bolbitus, Rotala Wallichii, and a few others like really soft water. Most plants prefer alittle hardness at least to their water and many can tolerate even fairly hard water like crypts. Most likely you don't need to worry about GH/KH unless you think you have very soft water and your tank has a really low PH naturally. I wouldn't spend money on the test kits unless you think you might have really soft water.

Back
Top Bottom