How to "prevent" breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am putting together a new 55 gallon tank with Angels, Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, and a few snails and crabs.

What type of fish can I get that would munch on any baby fry/eggs that will inevitably appear in the tank?

Thanks!

Of course, you cannot prevent breeding but with the mix of fish in your community, scattered eggs and surviving fry don't stand much of chance. The angels will breed and attempt to protect eggs and young. The other fish, particularly the barbs, will always be on the hunt for anything swimming about that will fit in their mouths. You don't mention cory cats in your stocking list. They were clean up scattered eggs on the bottom. You could add a few dwarf cichlids if you want something that would behave like a predator. But really, if you have one or two fry of any type make it out of hiding, it would be a real surprise.

Thanks! Would catfish work equally as well as cory cats? Any type in particular?

if u put angels in there they can get evil when protecting eggs and fry and go as far as to kill other fish to protect them

Thanks! Would catfish work equally as well as cory cats? Any type in particular?

Catfish and cories are the same. Almost any of the corydoras catfish are fine. They are happier in groups. I like to have five or more depending on tank size. Google corydoras. You will find plenty. Right now, I have hasbrosus cories which are very small but lively. I am planning on a group of sterbai cories for my south american tank. They prefer much warmer water and will be perfect in that environment.

I am putting together a new 55 gallon tank with Angels, Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, and a few snails and crabs.

What type of fish can I get that would munch on any baby fry/eggs that will inevitably appear in the tank?

Thanks!
In truth, the only way to prevent breeding is to only have 1 of a particular specie of fish or fish family or make sure you only have males of a species. (Not always the easiest thing to do :brows:)

Of this group of fish you listed, most of them are egg eaters themselves (even eating their own spawns)so if a spawning does happen, chances are small for survivors. Except the Angels. If possible, try to just get males so that there will be no possibility of a spawning and subsequent protecting of the eggs. If you do wind up with a pair of angels, it would be best to separate the pair as soon as they show any signs of spawning activity as they do become extremely territorial and protective and can do some real population control in a tank.

Hope this helps...(y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom