How to sex jewel cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macdaddydaze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have about 3 jewel cichlids red/normal hybrids and i was wondering how to sex them becuase i have thought about breedin them ?

I have about 3 jewel cichlids red/normal hybrids and i was wondering how to sex them becuase i have thought about breedin them ?

These are my male and female I think u just make sure your water is right and have a hiding place for them make sure they both can fit cuz mines used to protect them untill they grew those dots around them are the babys they had

ForumRunner_20130110_201929.jpg

ForumRunner_20130110_202031.jpg

These are my male and female I think u just make sure your water is right and have a hiding place for them make sure they both can fit cuz mines used to protect them untill they grew those dots around them are the babys they had

Okay thanks do u know how to tell the diffrence between a male and female?

The male is usually a much deeper red than the female.

My jewels are half regular and half red the mom was a red and the dad was a regular so somedays they are really red and other days they are kind of silver ill just get alot and pair them up

I was told and in my case it is true. If you look at their tails, the male will have spots from top to bottom. The female will only have spots halfway down. And when ready to spawn they both turn fire engine red.

I bought 6 myself then the male eventualy killed off all but his partner.

I was told and in my case it is true. If you look at their tails, the male will have spots from top to bottom. The female will only have spots halfway down. And when ready to spawn they both turn fire engine red.

I bought 6 myself then the male eventualy killed off all but his partner.

Ill have to try that out

Back
Top Bottom