How to start a fancy goldfish tank ? (First Time)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vundercoverdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
How to start a fantail goldfish tank ? (First Time)

So for about 3 years i've owned (still do)a 10 G betta tank. i've gotten to know all the logistics of fish care. But i know every fish is different. For fancy goldfish what are their prefered PH levels. Temp, diet, plants, decor. Things like that. Air filters? Any advice is appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

In terms of tank size, it is recommended that you have 20 gallon for the first fancy goldfish, then 10 gallon for each additional goldfish.

Yep, agree with Giants. Contrary to popular belief goldfish need very large tanks. Just for one you'd need a 20 gal. Goldfish are very messy. Their coldwater fish so a heater probably isn't necessary (just don't mix them with tropical fish as the temp requirements are different). Filters are a must for goldfish (again, messy lol).

Get the biggest tank that you can stuff into your house, and then get the biggest filter you can afford. That's my best advice when it comes to goldfish!

Room temp is fine for goldfish, no need for a heater. Personally, I would avoid live plants because goldfish like to uproot them and eat them, and make a big mess in the process. But some people are able to combine live plants with goldies...I am surely not one of them. Decor is whatever you like, but avoid anything that has sharp edges or points, or has holes that a fish can get trapped in. Goldfish seem remarkably talented when it comes to finding ways to get themselves hurt.

Find a high quality sinking pellet food. People here seem to like New Life Spectrum, but I have had better luck with Hikari Lionhead formula with my ryukins. They also like frozen food by San Fransisco Bay brands, like the freshwater formula and the spirulina brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom