How to start a siphon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this probably sounds stupid but i can NEVER start my siphon.. i've looked up videos and its hard to fill the tube then unfill it because i have a little plastic line thing that separates my tank in half at the top.

Gboy66 said:
Lol!! Just such at the opposite end haha. Nasty but effective

+1 all the more reason to keep that water clean ;)

Hahaha ya you can take the end that is in the water and shake it up and down really fast. Its a pain and kinda hard to do sometimes but it should create a suction. If that doesnt work....pucker up and suck the end. LOL

You can buy the little hand pump that starts the siphon to

If your sucking though all you have to do is get it started over your tank and stop it'll finish itself so you don't get a mouth full of water lol

but i've siphoned before and there's all that nasty bacteria from the last time the water went through there!

Then you could just keep a permanent marker and cup handy. Plug the end with the marker pour the water into the hose and pull the plug. That's what I did for a while til I said screw it and just started sucking lmao

Mrc8858 said:
Then you could just keep a permanent marker and cup handy. Plug the end with the marker pour the water into the hose and pull the plug. That's what I did for a while til I said screw it and just started sucking lmao

HAHA thats awesome... Typical guys.. And besides, its only saltwater :)

I had one of those little hand pumps too, but then i lost it under my dresser... Worked great tho!

i've done the just pushing it up and down a lot until it starts but it rarely works..do you stick it in the gravel and move it up and down or just in the water?

I use a small hand pump to start a siphon for emptying water from the tank. It works great.

Also remember its always easier if you can have a big hight difference from tank to bucket.

If you don't want or can't get a hand pump, you could try filling the siphon with water and block both ends with your fingers. Then put one end in the water and let go but keep the other end blocked. Once you have the blocked end lower than the level of the water (over a bucket!) just remove your finger water will flow out the siphon and 'drag' the rest of the water with it.

If you don't want or can't get a hand pump, you could try filling the siphon with water and block both ends with your fingers. Then put one end in the water and let go but keep the other end blocked. Once you have the blocked end lower than the level of the water (over a bucket!) just remove your finger water will flow out the siphon and 'drag' the rest of the water with it.

That is the easiest way to do it. That was the way I did it before I got a python. A lot cleaner/tastier than sucking on the other end. A lot less stressful than shaking it back and forth in the tank.

Just put the whole hose in the water and let it fill up completely. Then put your thumb over one end while under water and pull it out and put it in your bucket.

LOL, too funny! All are methods I've used. If you are just doing a water change, the fastest method is to stick a powerhead on the end in the tank. If you're goal is to siphon, just fill the entire siphon/tube with water, plug both ends and then place the drain end over the bucket. You'll always have to restart it when you pull the siphon out of the water to go over the plastic divider.

Holy jeez guys! Don't put your mouth on that poop factory!
Am I the only one who submerses my siphon to start it?! Lol I just fill it inside of the tank and cap the end until I get it in the bucket. Its literally so easy a caveman can do it. Effortless.

yeah i would never stick my mouth on it lol! and again i know this probably sounds stupid but i have the gravel vacuum and i was wondering if it somehow puts water back into the tank also? instead of doing buckets

Back
Top Bottom