How to stock a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
What fish can live in a 5.5 gallon tank? I want some cool fish but Im not sure what yet. Any advice?

what about a beautiful betta :)

I have a 8g tank, heavily planted, with 8 neon tetras, 4 Japanese algea eater shrimp, and a betta! kind of iffy but its been 18hrs successful!

for you tank a solo betta or maybe a shot in the dark to try some small species of rasbora

Wouldnt he be to big for a 5 gallon? I want something that is not red (I have so many red fish already in my other tank) but small. A schooling fish would be cool.

what about a beautiful betta :)

I have a 8g tank, heavily planted, with 8 neon tetras, 4 Japanese algea eater shrimp, and a betta! kind of iffy but its been 18hrs successful!

for you tank a solo betta or maybe a shot in the dark to try some small species of
I have considered a betta but I dont want a betta in a heavily pkanted tank. I think he would look wierd and I thought about covering the top with banana lilies but I know they need to breath....

GodFan said:
Wouldnt he be to big for a 5 gallon? I want something that is not red (I have so many red fish already in my other tank) but small. A schooling fish would be cool.

who are you wondering if they would get to big?

is the tank filtered and heater?

I personally would consider putting 4 or 5 neon tetras or small species of rasboras

GodFan said:
I have considered a betta but I dont want a betta in a heavily pkanted tank. I think he would look wierd and I thought about covering the top with banana lilies but I know they need to breath....

I have mine in a planted tank and he loves it! he lays on leaves and weaves in and out of them .. as long as there is some access to the surface I think a betta would be fine.

Well I just think the betta would look wierd outlined by green everywhere. I wanted to basically have the top of the tank coverted in lilly pads but I dont want him to suffocate...

Salt water?? They have some small cool fish, I use to run a 5 gallon salt water tank it was neat. Craigslist larger tank??

Salt water?? They have some small cool fish, I use to run a 5 gallon salt water tank it was neat. Craigslist larger tank??
lol bigger tank is out of the question. Trust me I tried that one :) I cant afford saltwater plus the tank water evaporates QUICK.

well I would say if you put a bubbler in there you could pull a small school (I would say 4 -5 fish) like I mentioned before small type of rasboras or maybe neon tetras..

what about making it a shrimp tank?

well I would say if you put a bubbler in there you could pull a small school (I would say 4 -5 fish) like I mentioned before small type of rasboras or maybe neon tetras..

what about making it a shrimp tank?
I thought about that too. Just unsure where I want to go with it!

I have mine in a planted tank and he loves it! he lays on leaves and weaves in and out of them .. as long as there is some access to the surface I think a betta would be fine.

Same here.

My betta is in a 20g tank with two different species of bacopa floating on the surface, and he loves to hang out in it. It's also how I feed him in a community tank; betta pellets in the open will get snatched by black neon tetras before he can react, so I feed him in the weeds so to speak. ;)

Maybe I will try it. I kinda wanted a betta anyway. Betta and ghost shrimp....

How about some mountain minnows. My friend just got some in her 8gallon I didnt think they'd be too great but rhey look lovely

I like those. But I am worried about the no heater part. It gets cold at night and warmish during the day. I want to stick with tropicals because I know them well.

Well our house fluctuates from 67 to 71 at times lol Ummm..... No guppies. I promise I am not trying to be a pain I just want to find the right fish! I want something as small as possible (1 inch or less if possible) and not red if avoidable. I like schooling fish too.

Check into aphyosemion australe killifish. They recommend, I think, 3 gallons for a trio of them. They're really beautiful.

Check into aphyosemion australe killifish. They recommend, I think, 3 gallons for a trio of them. They're really beautiful.
Those are gorgeous! 2 questions though. With them being 2.5 inches wouldnt that be a bit big? Also where would I find them lol

Back
Top Bottom