How to test rocks for aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some rocks to tie driftwood down in my tanks. I understand there are ways to test the rock to make sure its safe. Can it be done without using acid as I don't have any?

Vinegar doesn't do anything other than determine whether the rock is calcium based. If the tank pH is 7.8 or higher, that's not even a concern. Define 'safe'... Determining whether the rock has absorbed chemicals that may kill your fish is nearly impossible with most tools a standard hobbyist has available. WHen collecting rocks, getting them upstream of any pollution is usually a safe bet.

Vinegar doesn't do anything other than determine whether the rock is calcium based. If the tank pH is 7.8 or higher, that's not even a concern. Define 'safe'... Determining whether the rock has absorbed chemicals that may kill your fish is nearly impossible with most tools a standard hobbyist has available. WHen collecting rocks, getting them upstream of any pollution is usually a safe bet.

What about using slate?

Back
Top Bottom