How to treat dying fishes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
There are plenty of reason why a fish is dying. So I'm going to start with this one which is currently my case:
1. Fish attacked by fin nippers or aggressive/territorial fish and is now dying (lost some fins)

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it in a tank now away from the attacker?

What kind of fish and tank size?

Read the sticky here on euthanization. Real (not imitation) Clove oil is best method. Can find at a pharmacy - they can order it, health food store or cake decorating shop sometimes have it.

Sounds like you might need to separate fish who are not not getting along.

Fresh treated water is good for healing. Acclimate the fish to the new water by adding the water gradually into the new tank/tub.

Last edited:
Is it in a tank now away from the attacker?

What kind of fish and tank size?

Read the sticky here on euthanization. Real (not imitation) Clove oil is best method. Can find at a pharmacy - they can order it, health food store or cake decorating shop sometimes have it.

Sounds like you might need to separate fish who are not not getting along.

Fresh treated water is good for healing. Acclimate the fish to the new water by adding the water gradually into the new tank/tub.

The attacker is an angelfish (quite big, not adult size yet tho) and the victim is a goldfish (quite small). Probably due to the water too. I've quarantined both the angelfish and the goldfish.

The goldfish died within 1-2 days. It regain his spirit again but not for long. While the angelfish, after being quarantined for almost 3 days, now it doesn't attack anyone (..yet) after being released into the previous tank again.

The tank size is 100x39x50 cm. The water is probably 25-30 cm high.

The victim is the smallest among the other small and medium sized goldfish, and probably the slower too. Sad that it's dead now. Well my next problem will be rearrange my schedule for me to get my new tub done (only need to get some things first before it can finally working properly) and to get the aquarium which was sold to me, for quite some time ago (the place is far away and I'm the one who has to get it, since he has no one to deliver it to me)

So while you are getting ready for things, I have a few more for you to consider.

Goldfish, especially fancy Goldfish prefer cooler water than the majority of tropical fish usually found in a fish /pet store. There are some other kinds of fish which like cooler water as well, including a nice one called White Cloud Mountain Minnow (WCMM) with golden and long finned varieties.

Angels prefer warmer water and a are a poor tank mate for most Goldies, as you have already noticed.

Angels can be pretty aggressive, though not always. It IS especially true with a male and female if they pair up they want their own territory without intruders to have and raise babies. Do you have more than one Angel?

Goldfish, especially fancy and even moreso with telescope and bubble eye varieties, can be slow to get to food more so than other fish like an Angel.

What are your fish in the tank now?

It would be good to start deciding what your most favorite fish are, what tank requiremnets they have and try to build the tank stock around what you want the most. We can help you if need any suggestions, etc.

Aqadvisor is available on the web and can help you understand compatibility as it will tell you issues with temps, school numbers, temperament, filtration and tank size. You can add and subtract and make changes with a few clicks and see what might work well.

Yes, a lot of people in this forum already told me to separate the goldfish from the tropical fishes. And yes, I listened to them but my fish tub (for the butterfly koi and comets) is still under construction. And the Aquarium for other kinds of goldfishes.... Well I still don't know when will I get this aquarium since the place is far, and I don't know how to bring it home since it is quite tall, and the road is.

I live in a tropical country, so do my angelfishes need a heater?? And what is the best temperature for them??

And then what is the best temperature for the goldfishes?? What should I do to make the water cooler??

You dont need a heater for the angels if you live in the tropics.
The goldfish will just have to adapt to warmer water.
They arre not good fish to keep together, both are large and agressive.

You dont need a heater for the angels if you live in the tropics.
The goldfish will just have to adapt to warmer water.
They arre not good fish to keep together, both are large and agressive.

I see. Thanks for the reply :)

Angels would be comfortable from 75F middle about 25.5C to 82F.

Goldfish can live in ponds over the winter where there is partial freezing! A Comet GF can get 18 inches -45 cm! Those can get to be 10 pounds or 4.5kg!!!

They prefer water temp around 65-75F / 18-23C.

If you have air conditioning in the house the fish might get cold even if you live in the tropics. Or maybe in the coldest parts of the year.

True enough about them needing to adapt. If they happen to be bred in your tropical location from a breeder, rather than being shipped in from out of your country / area, they would likely be already used to this type environment.

Gold fish and Koi would like shade or to be in a cool area, sometimes people put fans blowing across the water to help cool it. If you have a light maybe reduce the time it is on/ heating the water.

The warmer the GF /Koi are, the more it shortens their lifespan because it increases their metabolism. Also they will benefit from additional water agitation/ air bubblers so they can get more oxygen, the warmer it is, the less O2 is in the water so they need more available to be comfortable as possible. They don't need strong water current but do need more O2.

If the GF /Koi don't do well over time (they can live 20-40 years) it maybe good to make a different fish selection.

check this out!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Angels would be comfortable from 75F middle about 25.5C to 82F.

Goldfish can live in ponds over the winter where there is partial freezing! A Comet GF can get 18 inches -45 cm! Those can get to be 10 pounds or 4.5kg!!!

They prefer water temp around 65-75F / 18-23C.

If you have air conditioning in the house the fish might get cold even if you live in the tropics. Or maybe in the coldest parts of the year.

True enough about them needing to adapt. If they happen to be bred in your tropical location from a breeder, rather than being shipped in from out of your country / area, they would likely be already used to this type environment.

Gold fish and Koi would like shade or to be in a cool area, sometimes people put fans blowing across the water to help cool it. If you have a light maybe reduce the time it is on/ heating the water.

The warmer the GF /Koi are, the more it shortens their lifespan because it increases their metabolism. Also they will benefit from additional water agitation/ air bubblers so they can get more oxygen, the warmer it is, the less O2 is in the water so they need more available to be comfortable as possible. They don't need strong water current but do need more O2.

If the GF /Koi don't do well over time (they can live 20-40 years) it maybe good to make a different fish selection.

check this out!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I'm planning to put the GF and koi into a tub which I will put outside. So I was wondering if I can throw in a plastic ice (plastic bag with frozen water in it) to the tub to make the water cooler, from time to time.

It is rainy season here atm so the temperature can go around 23-25 C (mostly stays from 24-25, and 23 at night)

But inside my house it's warmer. I don't use air conditioner in the room where I put my fishes (but there are some fans but I rarely use them since it is rainy season)

But even in rainy season it can get a hot sunny day once in a while, but the room temperature will only increase slightly (0.5 until 1.5 degree).

The angelfish will be inside the house and since I don't have heater, I will buy one after I move the GF and koi to the tub outside.

Thanks for the temperature info. Now I know the right temperature to set on my heater for the angelfishes.

Note: the angelfishes live with swordtails, rainbow fishes and mollys and they don't have any trouble with the angelfishes so far.

Back
Top Bottom