How to treat Ich and low pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickyB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I previously posted about my 30 gallon tank that housed 2 fancy goldfish that I had for 3 years. To make a long story short the fish tank was not maintained properly when I was away. When I returned (3 months later) I was told my beautiful Veiltail goldfish died (last week) The Ammonia level was dangerously high and pH low. On top of that the person taking care of the fish felt bad and bought another fancy goldfish 1 day after I completed the water change. I was able to get the Ammonia and Nitrite to 0 but the pH has only gone up by only 0.2. The surviving fish (Ryukin) has developed Ich. How do I treat both Ich and pH levels? Both fish are slamming their bodies around, but the surviving fish has no appetite, has blood streaks in its tail and developed 2 white spots on its face today. I know I have a couple of days to try to cure this before its too late :( Thank You

2/20/13 pH 6.4, Ammonia 7.0, Nitrite (NO2) 1.0, Nitrate (NO3) 20ppm
2/25/13 pH 6.6, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite (NO2) 0.0, Nitrate (NO3) 5.0ppm

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using prime with each water change, so that should have taken care of the Chlorine, Chloramine and Ammonia. It also helps to produce a slime coat. It most definitely was weakened from the high Ammonia levels.

Well, that is a pretty bad pH for goldfish. I would read the pH article, because I really don't know much on that topic.

To treat ich is pretty sinple. First I would feed some green beans to the fish, and add the right amount of salt to the tank, then I would add some API ich treatment for 1 or 2 weeks, then do a 25% water change to the tank after one week. Also heating up the tank would help the process.

Back
Top Bottom