How to treat QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaPeanut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I was wondering what kind of treatments I should do for new fish while in QT. Do I treat them as a prevention or only if I notice any illness/disease? And, what about plants? What should I rinse them in to make them safe for my aquaria and prevent algae, planaria, etc? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was wondering what kind of treatments I should do for new fish while in QT. Do I treat them as a prevention or only if I notice any illness/disease? And, what about plants? What should I rinse them in to make them safe for my aquaria and prevent algae, planaria, etc? Thanks in advance!

I only treat new stock in QT if I see an illness. As for plants dip them in. Hydrogen peroxide for a minute to kill off unwanted microbes... + snails.

Rinsing your plants won't remove the chances of your tank getting planaria and algae. Planaria can be caused by overfeeding. Algae can be caused by many things including excess lighting.

A QT only increases the odds that you will have a healthy tank. It can't guarantee it.

I know that professionals use dewormer in their QT's. I don't add anything unless there's an issue. You're always better keeping meds to a minimum, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

fair enough, thanks for the tips, everyone! I just get confused when i read so many conflicting things.

is there a need to rinse plants then? just want to make sure I keep my tanks healthy. :)

If you do rinse the plants, you are pretty much eliminating the possibility of getting pest snails introduced to your tank. That's the main reason people rinse the plants.

I don't treat my QT inhabitants unless I can see something wrong. Like Lynda said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Save your money!

As far as plants, I did bleach dips in a 1:19 ratio of bleach:water. A quick dip and then rinse in double dosed dechlorinated water does the trick for snails, eggs, and any other nasty critters that might have hitched a ride. I'm not sure if it does anything to algae, luckily all my plants were algae free.

Back
Top Bottom