How to: Vacuum sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I done my first vacuum and w/c yesterday on my sand based tank, in the pleco's cave was a number of jobbies... I tried to vacuum them, but i couldn't get them without a load of sand.

What's peoples method to vacuuming sand based tanks?

I'm also interested in this. I just put sand in my 55 and want to know how to not vacuum sand up when doing w/c lol

Your going to lose some every time. There's not really a way around it, just to minimize the amount lost.

The two methods I have used since setting up my sand substrate is disturbing the bottom to get the debris floating, then suck it up. When there is a lot piled up, I take the wide 'tube' part off the changer and use just the hose. Be careful though....there is a lot more suction so the piles of debris get sucked up better, but get too close to the sand and that will get sucked up quickly as well.

Hold the gravel vac at a 45 degree angle. The sand should fall down out of the strongest current and fall out (depending on the grain size)

I done my first vacuum and w/c yesterday on my sand based tank, in the pleco's cave was a number of jobbies... I tried to vacuum them, but i couldn't get them without a load of sand.

What's peoples method to vacuuming sand based tanks?

Lol ... Jobbies ;)

Unfortunately it's a pain I have just had to add more sand due to vacuuming ... I use a power vac and it's great but it still sucks up some sand ,

Haha, i've taken the nozzle thing off the siphon I am now only using the hose, it works alot better if you're careful.

I lost some sand too, but that comes part and parcel i guess, got a load of spare in the cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom