Hundreds of tiny white aiptasia/hydroid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
So like the title states, I have hundreds of little white aiptasia looking things in my sump. I am not convinced that is what they are though. I have had the odd aiptasia in that tank but have killed them off with lemon juice and I don't think they could produce this many so quickly. These things in my sump look like tiny clear aiptasia but their tentacles are very long and whispy, not like the aiptasia. They are also all the same size and I don't see any larger ones turning brown. They do retract like aiptasia though.

I was thinking possibly some sort or hydroid? I can't find anything that looks like them from googling hydroid images though. If they are hydroids is there anything that eats them? I don't think it would be possible for me to kill them, there is too many.

hahaha well that would be a lot easier to take a pic of then these little guys.

I couldn't get a pic since they are so tiny and clear, it's hard for me to even see them. I drew some awesome paint art though :)

The stem part is only about 2 mm max.
white.jpg

I'm about 99% sure it's not. It doesn't have a flat head with a mouth like apaitasias do and the tentacles are so long and wispy, very very thin. No color to them at all either, when I see a small apaitasias I know right away what it is, even if it's still clear with no color.

So. What u going to do to get rid if them? Seems like rge only way would be to cut down the feedungs

Umm I'm not too sure, my brother and I might set up a tank for them and see if we can raise any. They prefer colder water so don't even need a heater, they apparently are the easiest jellyfish to raise.

I think I will just leave most of them in there though, I don't think they have much chance of surviving.

Back
Top Bottom