Hurt pictus cat.. help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I got my two pictus cats, one got caught in the net. I had to cut around the net to get him out and he had a small piece of net on his left spike that I couldn't get off. Now, its been about a week and its starting to get like this foam look around both of his spikes. He is swimming around fine... what should I do?

Nik

Sounds like a fungus has developed from the wound, which can happen. Is it cotton-wool like?
I recommend treating with Pimafix (and treating with Melafix at the same time won't hurt either). This is an antifungal/bacterial infection medication which is herbal and therefore less problematic to treat fish with than other medications. Just be sure to follow the instructions.

If it is a fungus then you don't need to worry about it being passed on to other fish since it's not contagious.

Should I quarantine him to treat him? It definitely looks cotton like... so it is a fungus. Should I put him in another tank or just dose the 75 gallon? My stocking:

1 BGK
2 Pictus Cats
4 Corys
10 Hatchets
8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
1 L199 Pleco
1 Angel

Since it is a 75 gal, I would QT him to the cost of dosing a 75 gal. IMO it is always better to QT whenever possible when treating.

Back
Top Bottom