hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't they are different species.

Poecilia latipinna = Mollies
Xiphophorus maculatus = Platies

Swords and platies can interbreed because they are both from the Xiphophorus family and guppies and Mollies can cause they are both in the poecilia family.

Look forward to see if this is possible because as far as I know they are completely different (one a poecilidae the other a xiphophorus). You could cross the platy with swordtails or the Molly with guppies however, it is hard.

I believe you have to have all one sex of one species and one sex of the other because otherwise the fish would breed with their own kind more readily. So follow that and make sure the conditions are right... Then let me know if you manage this!?

I assure you it's not possible, I did some research on this the last time it was asked.

Molly+guppy= yes, but difficult
Platty+sword= yes

Yeh you wrote near enough exactly what I was trying to get out! Only difference is you knew it wasn't possible and I didn't know for definite until now. What I did hear somewhere, which would ruin the Latin name theory, is that a guppy can be bred with a swordtail?

Aron said:
Yeh you wrote near enough exactly what I was trying to get out! Only difference is you knew it wasn't possible and I didn't know for definite until now. What I did hear somewhere, which would ruin the Latin name theory, is that a guppy can be bred with a swordtail?

It's not a Latin name theory it's fact. Guppies and swords are both fish yes, but they come from different families Xiphophorus and Poecilia. Same concept as dogs and cats are both mammals but cant breed with each other

Take African cichlids for example:
Pseudotropheus elegans "Acei"
Pseudotropheus socolofi

One is a Elegans and one is a Socolfi however they are both memebers of the Pseudotropheus family and are genetically close enough to hybridize.

Yeh I see, just like lions and tigers being panthera and zebra/horses being equus they can hybridise. So no fish with different latin names can hybridise? It just puts to bed that myth I heard about where swordtail guppies originated.

it can happen. cross breeding can and has been done. even more so on the sw side. it takes time and is extremly hard. even bloodparrots are hyrids

I know there are cases like bloodparrots that are hybrids but in the cause of the Molly and Platty from all the materials I have read online it suggests it can't be done... I really boils down to if their genetic makeup is close enough to for the male to fertilize the eggs of the female. With those two I don't think it's the case.

ilostnemo said:
theres more cases. the fact they are livebearers is even more of a chance that it can be done.

I'd like to see it if it has been done, would make a good study in gentics IMO. I don't know how easy it would be to do in a home aquaria.

it deff would. hmmm i got some tanks laying around haha. personally with breeding different clowns. he/she needs to decide which genes hed want between the two then id do 1 male to 5 females and see where it goes

ilostnemo said:
it deff would. hmmm i got some tanks laying around haha. personally with breeding different clowns. he/she needs to decide which genes hed want between the two then id do 1 male to 5 females and see where it goes

If you do anything post your findings! Also clean out you inbox so I can pm you a question about LEDs.

Ahh, the elusive muppy. Always rumored, but I sure haven't seen one. Maybe you could artificially inseminate, but I doubt that as well, groups of scientists artificially inseminate livebearers all the time, still hadn't seen a muppy. What were you wanting to get out of your platy/Molly hybrid anyhow?

Well I have mentioned before I have never owned a male Molly and I got some mixed Molly fry from my brother, four survived and all turned out female. I continued breeding guppies and decided that the mollies were too large and wouldn't want them eating all my fry so I decided not to pursue the Molly breeding. Anyway... I end up with a batch of fry in my tank and as they get older they look less and less like guppies. They retained the exact coloration and mannerisms of my guppy fry. I have a picture, looks like a Molly to me but then I am certain the mother had never been in contact with a male Molly?

image-885657622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom