Hybridizing thoughts and should i?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it happens and they never leave his tank what difference does it make? i dont agree that its like letting a 5 yr old plan a meal. its a fish tank in the privacy of a persons own home, youre telling me that if you wake up in the morning and a red zebra is holding from idk lets say a kenyi youd just strip and flush the fry. plus how would you know who the fish is holding from anyways? in tank with 20 fish how do YOU decide who spawns with whom? you can select the correct male to female ratio but if the dominant male wants to spawn with another female the sub male isnt going to stop it. idk just my opinion.

The difference is that you're potentially going to creat a fish unable to thrive. And btw, if you did your research, you'd know that blood parrots, are infertile most of the time, a defect from the hybridization, not to mention they can't close their mouth and have aggression issues. Why make a fish riddled with defects?

Africans are a different story! They naturally hybridize as they coexist in the same lake, part of which helped create the massive amount of species found within those lakes. South/central Americans are a MUCH different story!

ahhhhh ok i get it now. so i guess he should go with NO then. i only have africans. plus i dont think he likes us anymore anyways and has left the forum all together.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to really jump on you, I thought you were the OP and this darn cold has my head all flustered lol but thank you for understanding :)

I agree that hybridizing fish isn't the best but I mean what are you going to do about it if they breed on there own then let the fish live ad even in the wild waters of lake malawi I'm sure that the cichlids hybridize and breed with eacoter

We aren't talking about Africans here, with which I completely agree, but it isn't the same for south or central Americans...and you can avoid them pairing. Don't introduce one of the opposite sex of two separate species. Easily avoided and fixed!

We aren't talking about Africans here, with which I completely agree, but it isn't the same for south or central Americans...and you can avoid them pairing. Don't introduce one of the opposite sex of two separate species. Easily avoided and fixed!

I agree with everything you have stated, but in the decades I've kept new worlds there have hybrid eggs in my tanks, notice I said eggs and not fry. The eggs were culled minutes after they were fertilized. There are alot of us with community tanks of new world cichlids and in rare occasions it happens that different species pair but the responsible thing is to destroy the eggs and with it the chance to ever leave the tank.

I still don't get why you can't keep 1 or 2 to see what they would look like I mean millions of people own ob peacocks and parrot fidj

I apologize for my rude behavior but I think things could have been stated in a politer manner. And whoever was talking about the infertility of blood parrots. It's usually only males and females tend to be fertile. I'm going to breed either jacks or flowerhorns. And flowerhorns are hybrids

I agree that hybridizing could have detrimental effects but it could also have a positive effect of done properly, one only needs to look at what we do in nature ourselves a good example would be the Florida panthers which are now being crossbreed with a different genus of cat to thin out the inbreeding they have been doing for hundreds of years. Sometimes something good can come out of something supposedly bad.

I think that hybridizing than breeding that fry can create something good. And it's not messing with God, it's like saying blacks, whites, Asians and so on shouldn't have children with each other

This is both a poorly thought out analogy and an emotional appeal based on a different topic. We're comparing breeding multiple different species to create a hybrid. Last time I checked, humans are all the same species.

The thread responses haven't stated it's unethical to selectively breed for better color or even breed a tiger oscar and red oscar for a color variation.

Selective breeding has been done by humans to animals for hundreds of years so it is merely an opinion that it is unethical.

I really can't understand why any one would want hybrids or even pursue hybrids. And all for money. !!!!! What a mad world we live in.

Good quality strains and specimens of any species of fish can be really hard to find, with out the difficulty of trying to establish if there might be hybrid.

Although malawi's have come from only seven species to now over 800. They don't tend to hybrid in the wild. If kept in an aquarium wild fish will stick to their own, with only a small chance of hybrids if the same genus are kept together. Only strains far bred from their wild ancestors, after several generations of tank breeding will breed freely of any thought of genus.

I appreciate that in a mixed tank it's possible for hybrids to happen, I think it's best to cull but also think its ok to keep if only to the tank it's bred in.

I have seen many flowerhorns and still can't understand why they can be so pricy!!! Any one else know ?

I agree that hybridizing could have detrimental effects but it could also have a positive effect of done properly

We are not discussing the positive impacts of hybridization like saving endangered species, we are talking about someone who's main concern is the profitablity in his endeavour without the thought of what's best for the fish and other people in the hobby.

We now have over 2300 confirmed species of cichlids and I find it hard to believe that someone can't find one that peaks their interest, without having to resort to making their own which impacts future generations of fish.

Last edited:
Good debate. Just a note, lets please try to keep the debate about fish. When you start pulling in too many other species to use as examples, the comparison becomes skewed because it's like comparing apples and oranges. While those similes certainly have their place, it tends to take topics such as this one too far off topic. Thanks.

HUKIT said:
We are not discussing the positive impacts of hybridization like saving endangered species, we are talking about someone who's main concern is the profitablity in his endeavour without the thought of what's best for the fish and other people in the hobby.

We now have over 2300 confirmed species of cichlids and I find it hard to believe that someone can't find one that peaks their interest, without having to resort to making their own which impacts future generations of fish.

What I'm saying is hybridization doesn't always have to have a negative effect in some cases it can improve a species/genus. Hypothetically what if you take the fish who now has defects from hybridization and breed it with a fish without these defects, yes the possibilities are it could make things worse but there is a chance you could begin to reverse these defects then would it be such a bad idea. But that is only this one mans opinion.

My purpose isn't only profit. Yeah I'd like to make my money back. But I'd like to create new interest or cool coloured fish.

Back
Top Bottom