Hydor inline heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandLocked

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 200w Hydor inline heater. I'm going super anal and trying to make my whole tank as close to silent as possible, the heater seams to work well but it has a nice click with every single on and off, like an electrical breaker click or grill ignitor, only really a problem right before I fall asleep but still annoying enough to do something about it . The heater is only a couple months old but the click is from day one, did I get a bunk heater or is the click normal? Any other inline heater options? Should I just plan for enough heaters in the sump plus a small intank backup and forget the inline heater.

By silent I'm going for no difference between power on and off, unachievable, probly but it's a goal. My Eheim 2215 gets the stink eye once and a while but it just needs cleaned.

My Hydor ETH external heaters used to make that click as well. I think it has to do with the circuitry inside when it detects it needs to be activated.I switched to an external heater controller. You plug the controller into the wall and the heater into the controller. You set the temperature controller to the temperature you want and set the heater to an temperature even higher.The controller has a wired probe the goes in the water. When the controller wants to raise the water temperature it turns on the power to the heater so the heater circuitry is never used. I don't recall hearing the click noise anymore.The reason I switched to the heater controller was because I want to activate multiple heaters at once (all on and off at same time) and the controller has large LED numbers making it easy to see the tank temperature.Aquarium Heating & Temperature Control: JBJ True Temp Digital Heater Controller

Back
Top Bottom