Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you could try the non-WiFi controller. I just got one about 2 months ago and it works just fine.

Does this mean the buttons on the front of the thermostat? Already exploited, so to speak. As I mentioned, every aspect of the unit, besides Wifi control is functioning fine. I wish someone beyond my wife and I could see the horrible manual that comes with the thermostat. The unit is almost too complicated, but the manual only makes broad statements while adding NO detail.

It may just be me, but I think Bezos needs to start sourcing some things from places other than China. I hope that's okay to say! :hide: I'm glad you were lucky enough to get a unit with WiFi that functioned OOTB. BTW, what's the model # on your InkBird, FW?

I'm glad you were lucky enough to get a unit with WiFi that functioned OOTB. BTW, what's the model # on your InkBird, FW?
Sorry, no I do not have the WiFi unit. I have the 306T regular. Have no need for a WiFi temp controller.

Sorry, no I do not have the WiFi unit. I have the 306T regular. Have no need for a WiFi temp controller.

I felt the same way until I took into account my new router coupled with the idea of remote monitoring and control of a critical FRU, all in a secured environmment.I'm looking for an alarm system that works in that situation as well. Have you noticed the large amount of temp control hardware Inkbird sells?

I have seen what they sell.

I have never had a heater failure ever in 20 years. With that said, I have my own way of making sure this won't happen.

I have as well, but I'm surprised considering what I know of them.

I've had one go down in about 40-years. That makes me smart, lucky or both. Would you care to share that "way" with the unwashed, FW? BTW, please don't consider the question a push for information. That would be rude!

As a new hobbyist if there is advice you would like to provide regarding not having heaters fail it would be greatly appreciated and beneficial!

I have as well, but I'm surprised considering what I know of them.

I've had one go down in about 40-years. That makes me smart, lucky or both. Would you care to share that "way" with the unwashed, FW? BTW, please don't consider the question a push for information. That would be rude!
No problem at all. First, any heater that uses bi-metal for contacts should use a solid state controller (Inkbird or whatever). In the small tank, I'm using a 75W Eheim set at 79 degrees and the Inkbird set at 76 degrees. I really doubt the Inkbird will fail in the ON position, but if it does, the Eheim is set at 79 degrees so no cooked fish... hopefully.

You 'should' use a heater that has an external solid state controller as I believe these have low failure rates. In the bigger tank, I have a 300W titanium Aquaheat going on 11 years with an external controller, works great. This one is set to 76 degrees. For redundancy I have a 200W with an external controller set for 72 degrees. If the 300W fails to turn on, the 200W will handle the temp when it drops. Not really rocket surgery, but nothing has ever failed anyway.

Great morning for me here and I hope with you folks as well. Inkbird has responded to my email. Based on my experiences with their unit, I was told that their device should be broadcasting an SSID that can be seen by their phone software. The unit only seems to see one of my 5ghz bands which the documentation says the unit can't use. My statement to them about the documentation and software seemingly needing a major update was well received and they promised that an update to both was in the works. I was told to replace the unit with either them or Bezos. Since I have a backup I've decided to return the unit to them, so that they can see the malfunction and hopefully correct the issue and avoid it happening in future offerings.

My useless sense of community pops out for all to see, I guess. :brows:

Based on my belated reviews of the product and testimonials I've read, I didn't expect a response either. In fact, I was hoping I'd have to call South Africa. Why? Because I can!

Of course. But I tend to relish most opportunities to interact with other cultures (when the interaction is under my control, that is). BTW Charlie, I have a question for you. I don't know if I should ask in this thread. So I'll just ask and hope that the mods are kind to me.

My wife offhandedly asked whether we may have to much air being pumped into the tank? I'm fully aware of the benefits of an air stone. But I've never heard of any potential detriments. Have you? I currently have two stone's, being powered by a tetra whisper 300 pump, at opposite ends of my long tank.

I've never heard anything negative. Seems like I read sometime ago that it'll lower your ph some, but I don't know if that's true. I would think the benefits outweigh any negatives. I run air stones or sponge filters on air pumps in every single one of my tanks. Like you, 2, on the big tanks

Copy that. I felt like it made sense to supply my babies with as much DO as possible. I like the slow current they create as well. Do you run sponge filters only on any of your tanks?

No, I have canister or hob on all of them too. But sponges in most. A couple were cloudy after set up with some floating bacteria, but after I added the sponge and got it cycled they cleared right up. That sold me on their use

Kewl! I was wondering if sponges alone could support could support large tanks for an extended time. I was also thinking that, considering the current atmosphere, I need a way to keep all of my current charges alive if something problematic happens. It seems that a supply of charged UPS's would be a great start for now. Plus the new sine wave variants look interesting.

Back
Top Bottom