Hydroids on snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breezyrae

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey just wondering if these are hydroids on my snails shell?! And if so, what do I do and should I be worried?

ForumRunner_20111207_185632.jpg

Lol it's crazy looking! Just hope whatever it is it won't do any damage too :( and now the snail is somewhere in the tank and I can't find him

Whatever the little attachments are they don't look like they would be harmful.Question,are you sure there is a snail in the shell.In the picture I see what looks like the legs of a blue leg hermit crab .They will use any shell available.

Ricksreef said:
Whatever the little attachments are they don't look like they would be harmful.Question,are you sure there is a snail in the shell.In the picture I see what looks like the legs of a blue leg hermit crab .They will use any shell available.

Thanx Rick:) yeah there is a possibility that it's a hermit. I can't find him to confirm it, but I'm still looking. Yesterday my dottyback swam by it(rubbed against) and the stuff on the shell didn't phase him at all. But I can never be to sure lol. It's a mystery to me right now

I used to have hydroids all over a certain section of my LR and I worried it would ruin the tank.

Well that was months ago and I have since forgotten about them (until this post reminded me)... they are no longer in my tank so it might be temporary issue.

Pic looks cool though

Thanks UsCamaro :) Yeah, it doesnt look like its disturbing anything. I thought maybe the snail was crawling aroung stinging stuff lol.

Back
Top Bottom