Hydrometer Error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thechad, When you say it would not zero were you using calibration fluid or distilled water? Just curious to how a porecelain crab would react to hermits and firefish? Are they easy to keep?

However after several months of use I found my refeactometer would not zero, and some how was stuck.

There's nothing to "stick" in a refractometer. It's just light bending through a prism.

Agree with Sadielynn - sounds like it was dropped if you couldn't rezero it with the screw.

{Edit: now that I think about it, I suppose the pivot that the calibration screw adjusts could've been stuck, or not moving when you adjusted the screw. Either way, it sounds like a manufacturing defect that should be covered under a warranty or something.}

yeah i have a hydrometer and it read 1.023 then a friend tested it it was 1.035 where can i get a good refractometer for a good price

When calibrating I thought the calibration fluid was supposed to read 0, but the screw wouldn't let it go that low. So I guess it could have "stuck" since the fluid was supposed to be at 35 ppm which took me a few minutes to figure out :S How would dropping the refractometer affect it unless the glass was cracked?

refracto fluid should have a measurement to it. If you are using plain RO/DI water it should read ZERO. If you are using a solution, it should have a pre-determined salinity to calibrate it against. For instance, I have a solution that shows a SG of 1.014 for calibration purposes. I tend to use both RO/DI water AND the solution to check for accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom