Hyper Dominant Male Peacock - What are my options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a hyper dominant male peacock. He chases anyone that gets in his way or swims in his direction. No nipping but he loves to chase. I dont really see him seek out others to bully but whoever crosses him gets a good chase. All the other peacocks dont bother each other. I hate to get rid of him as hes the most colorful and has a beautiful dorsal fin. I already added new caves and moved decor around a little, but he just claims the new areas for himself. anything else i can do?
If i remove him for a day or two would this establish a new pecking order? I dont have another tank so i would be putting him in my 5gallon bucket that i use for water changes, would that be ok? I would put current tank water in the 5gallon.

I've done that before with my auratus who was doing the same thing, and it calmed him down a bit and yes it reestablish a new pecking order although he still chases but not as much and not as relentless. So give it a try if u really want to keep him because that was the case with me didn't want to just get rid of him.

Ok
Is it ok to reintroduce him by himself? I know that you should add at least 3 fish to a tank.. Would they remeber him or gang up on him?

If he is the bad a** you say he is then he should be ok lol when I added my auratus back only my top 3 or 4 fish gave him a problem but he settled in.

He should be ok then. Hes 2.75inch long and i have peacocks that are 3.5 inch thats scared of him.
I might adopt a red shoulder from my dad as his tabk is over crowded and hes too big for his tank. Maybe ill add them two together

I did the time out trick with an over aggressive peacock and it has worked for over a month now. He is still low man on the pecking order. I reintroduced him back by himself with the lights out at night and didnt turn lights on until the following evening and all went well.

I did the time out trick with an over aggressive peacock and it has worked for over a month now. He is still low man on the pecking order. I reintroduced him back by himself with the lights out at night and didnt turn lights on until the following evening and all went well.

Nice!
How long did you have him in timeout for?

Nice!
How long did you have him in timeout for?

Friday night to Sunday night I think. I know it was only 2 or 3 days. Enough time for me to see other males establishing dominance. I also didn't feed the male that was in time out. Giving my others that had previously been beaten up by him more of a chance. It has worked out nicely. The only thing I don't like is he was the most beautiful yellow and now his colors aren't that great because he is no longer the dominant one.

Friday night to Sunday night I think. I know it was only 2 or 3 days. Enough time for me to see other males establishing dominance. I also didn't feed the male that was in time out. Giving my others that had previously been beaten up by him more of a chance. It has worked out nicely. The only thing I don't like is he was the most beautiful yellow and now his colors aren't that great because he is no longer the dominant one.

I wouldnt mind my most dominant losing some color if the other males will color up a bit more. I got a lemon jake and sunshine that could use more color, although they are the biggest guys in the tank, they are on the bottom of the totem pole. My hyper dominant is a dragon blood, hes more on the orange side so its nothing super spectacular, if he loses some color its not a big deal.

I wouldnt mind my most dominant losing some color if the other males will color up a bit more. I got a lemon jake and sunshine that could use more color, although they are the biggest guys in the tank, they are on the bottom of the totem pole. My hyper dominant is a dragon blood, hes more on the orange side so its nothing super spectacular, if he loses some color its not a big deal.

My most dominant was the Sunshine. Since you have a lemon jake and sunshine together they may be at the bottom because they are both very similarly colored fish. I was told not to have two male peacocks of the same color they typically don't get along or are both very passive and their color washes. I don't know if this is fact or not but it makes sense to me. I put two sunshines together before I knew better and they are both washed out. I would get rid of one if I could catch the stupid thing.

Back
Top Bottom