I bought more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 13 more fish over the weekend. Some of which were mentioned or recommended by Somethingfishy. Thanks, they look great so far.

I bought 6 tiger barbs. They are about 1 inch long and put them in my 55 gallon tank. I moved my 2 inch long tiger barb from my 20 gallon to my 55 gallon so that he can be with them and my green tiger barb will move to the 55 gallon tank as soon as he grows a little more (so that he won't be bite size for my convict cichlid).

All 7 tiger barbs are schooling and make a wonderful site. Sometimes the other fish swim through their school and they separate. But, they always reform.

I also bought a rainbow cichlid, a rainbow shark, and a bright yellow male molly. They also went into the 55 gallon tank.

The firemouth cichlid will sometimes chase the rainbow cichlid, but nothing serious. After the first day, the rainbow cichlid stopped hiding and now swims with the other fish and even watches me when I come near.

I tried to buy two more female silver lyretail mollies and was scrutinizing them carefully. However after further observation at home, I see I got a male and a female. They are both in my breeding tank with my other female lyretail molly. I was planning to breed my new yellow molly with the lyretails to see how they would come out, now I'll have to wait a month or so.

I also bought two otocinclus'. I also put them in my 10 gallon (breeding) tank, which has a serious algea problem. I'm hoping they can help reduce the algea growth. I'm planning to get more of them for the 20 gallon and find a new home for the algea eater in their since he is becoming aggressive and the 20 gallon is where my baby fish grow up.

Now, I want some blue fish and some more yellow fish in my tank. One fish I have thought would go well in this tank are the blue ram and the yellow ram. What do you think? Will they be ok with the convict, rainbow, and firemouth cichlid's? Do they get overly aggressive? I seem to remember them being labeled semi-aggressive at Petco.

Also, how aggressive can the rainbow shark get? Right now he is not being aggressive but he still has a few inches to grow. Does anyone know would he give problems for my tetra's?

The tiger barbs sound great. I like them too. Might pick up another oto or two for the 10 though...they do best in groups of at least three. IME, the rams are actually pretty shy...assuming you are talking about Microgeophagus ramirezi? One book I have on them recommends that they have their own 10 gal tank for a pair. You might just have to try it and see how it goes there.
Logan J

My goal is to have about 15 oto's which I plan to divide into three groups. 3-4 on one side of my divided 10 gallon tank and 3-4 on the other side and the remaining in my 20 gallon tank. I went on the cautious side because I have heard they are sensitive and I had one before that died.

The two I have seem to be doing fine. I'll plan to get more sooner rather than later.

On the rams, the only type I see in my book at work is called the Apistogramma ramirezi, which of course is not blue nor yellow. Are the rams more shy than the rainbow cichlid then?

I had a rainbow shark years ago. The shark must have gotten about 5 inches long. Didn't have any problems with him in the community tank that I had. I didn't have tetras at the time though.

JMTC

Tom

Back
Top Bottom