I bought new fish today, one tho looks like it has a broken jaw ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 27 Gallon Hexagon tank, bout 11 years old. Been setup for that last oh 7-8 years now.. I didn't have many fish in it so I decided to get a bunch of fish over the last week..

So far I have accumulated

7x Neon Tetra
4x Glow Light Tetra
4x White Cloud
1x Dwarf Gourami
1x Penguin Tetra (the guy gave me this instead of a 5th glow light tetra by accident and I don't feel like going back for a $2 fish and hes too hard to catch in my deep tank)
3x Celebus Rainbow Fish
2x Blue Red Fin Tetras

2x Marimo Moss balls

Fish that I already had in my tank

1x Neon tetra (I had 10 for a long time but accidently killed them along time ago by cleaning to aggressively.)
1x Black fin tetra
3x Gold Barb
1x I dunno its name sorry its got a red tail.. black/gold line through it and its bout 2 inchs long

Today I got the 3 rainbowfish, 3 more white clouds, and 3 neons.. Which make the total you see above

All my fish are healthy but I noticed one of the rainbow fish its jaw isn't moving.. The other 2 they are moving like normal but this one it isn't.. Usually when I see fish like that they cant eat and they die... This is a very expensive fish to me anyway $7 each.... Should I scoop him up and go back to petsmart and get another or should I wait ?

Fyi before you say it, I didn't add 20 fish to my tank in one day.. The gourami I added yesterday, then I added 2 glowlights and 5 neons another day. Then 1 white cloud and 2 more glow lights and the penguin another day..

As it stands my water quality using the API drop test which is brand new because my other one expired like 6 years ago.. are..

PH. 6.8
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates are 20..

My nitrates were really high before I got these fish because I I originally got 5 neons, and a couple others and they all developed white bleach patchs on there bodies and died 24 hours later.. it wasn't ich it was like half there body faded and looked bleached.. Almost like neon tetra disease.. My nitrates read 40 with my old kit so I did 2 25% water changes and then got the fish you see above... However with my new API kit it says my nitrates were between 40-80 (blood red) while my old kit was saying 10 after the water change.. So I guess that's why my original 5 neons I added died in one day.. If its reading 10 with the old kit and 40-80 with the new kit.. then when my old kit was reading 40 before I did the water changes it must have been super high 80+

I plan to to more water changes this week everyday to get the nitrates down to 5-10.. I also got those marimo moss balls to see if that would help any.. But so far I haven't had a fish die in 4 days. I am using Prime as well. I purchased a uv light but I decided to put it in my moms tank Her tank has developed a major case of ich from the store bought platys we got 3-4 days ago.. so I took the carbon filters out and raised the water temps to 82f and put 4 teespoons of this ich medicine in the tank with the UV light.. I checked her nitrates as well and they are reading blood red 40-80 nitrates AFTER a 50% water change... So she too had crazy high nitrates..

I admit we don't do weekly water changes... That happens when you have a tank setup for 8 years you kind forget overtime.. but i'll be doing water changes in her tank as well to get those nitrates down...

Question ? The people who make this ich medicine I called them to ask a question and mentioned my nitrates were 80 or so in both tanks.. he said if I had 80 then all my fish would be dead... That I guess makes sense why my 5 original neons died in 24 hours and my mom had 3-4 new platys die.. But our old fish were fine.. in fact she has 4 large neon tetras that have been in that tank for 2 years now.. He is saying my new API kit is reading the nitrates wrong and he hears about this all the time... So I mean is he full of it ? Or is my $30 API master kit not reading these nitrates right ? The bottles don't expire till 2018..

Back
Top Bottom