I dentification needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraydune

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I have a photo of a critter on a rock I purchased and would like to know what it is and if it is a good guy or a bad guy.

aquathing1.jpg

that doesn't look anything like aiptasia to me. might be anenome majano. Don't kill it till you get a positive id though.

Not all aptasia are created equal, or wear the same face. I've seen many colorful aptasia as well as translucent ones. Call it what you will, aptasia or majano, it is certainly one of the pest glass anemone's and not desirable addition.

It is a curlique anemone. I've had several. They grow very large and eat all sorts of stuff. I had to finally get rid of mine, they got too big.

Scottm said:
that doesn't look anything like aiptasia to me. might be anenome majano.

Rock anemones such as that one is Aptasia. Majano anemones have tendency to mimic the bulb anemones where Aptasia have longer cone shaped tentacles. In any case, they can reproduce quickly, sting and wipe out anything in their path. Use Joe's Juice to get rid of them. It is a sad thing to buy corals and watch these little guys sting them and kill em...

Also a true Curly Que has cork screw type tentacles..

Looks like it might be a Gem anemone or something similar ... Aulactinia verrucosa

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom