I don't have the heart....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have guppies and mollies that all have fry on a reguler basis. I keep saying that I am going to stop separating the females to give birth and let nature take its course instead. Well Everytime I see a female ready to drop, I put them in a net and scoop up all the fry. My last drop was 40 fry! For anyone who lets nature take its course, about what percentage of your fry actually survive?

I run about the opposite ratio, about 90% of mine survive. Due to a lot of guppy grass for them to hide in.

i am the same way as you. Everytime i see one of my platies ready to drop, in to the net they go. I just had one drop 20+ tonight. I am getting ready to pull the babies out right now. I have a 99% survival rate (so far the only one that has died was the stillborn from one of the last drops. and whatever ones the mollies eat, because i can never tell when they are ready to drop)

we'll when our babies are born they are put in a thank with three big red belly piranahs. we just added a new addition of two more RBP...
But none have been eaten yet. Not even one.
and last batch of baby out of 20 we got 5 the beta and other fish (mollies and guppies) eat them.
Our very first batch of guppies. They are 2 months old and still living with the piranahs until we can find a place for them..

or second batch 5 outta 30 dont know i had massive dannios and they ate them until i seperated them. but i have a red tailed shark and he killed thos dannios for attacking the babies. chased them around and beat them until they both died. Even after all the babies were gone.

I've no problem with allowing fry to fend for themselves. It is natures way. However, allowing a red tail shark to punish your danios is irresponsible fish keeping.[/quote]

My mother's guppy tank has had maybe twelve adults for the past several years. The babies rarely survive. This is probably due to few feedings. She recently seperated the boys into a new tank to give the females and babies some time to grow out before reproducing. We now have about a dozen adult females and nine males. The females are still popping out fry and eating them as fast as possible. I've never seen more than two dozen fry on a given day, usually its more like five.

Back
Top Bottom