I don't know how this happened.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I went to Petco to get one more Zebra Danio to add to the two I already have in my newly cycled (10 gal ) tank
I acclimated the water and fish to my tank water temp.
I then transferred fish to a net and immediately deposited the fish in my tank.
However, I could not find the fish anywhere in my tank

Then to my horror, a couple of minutes later. I spotted the fish on the rug next to my tank . It was still alive so, I deposited it in my tank.
In a few minutes is was fully revived and swimming about as normal.. as normal that can be expected being just deposited in a new tank, etc . It is even eating.
The new one is just slightly bigger so, it can be identified easily .

BTW, what the very best way to transfer a fish from the plastic bag from the fist store to your net to then put it in your tank . You have to cut the bag somewhere but where and how, etc ?

I don’t suggest adding the water from the bag into your tank it can seriously screw with your water parameters. I usually pour it into a bowl once they are acclimated and then transfer the fish to the tank via the net.

I have had fish recover having been lain in the plug grating of the sink for 10+ minutes. Picked them up off the carpet. Pulled out of the bottom of a canister filter (must have got sucked in as fry several weeks earlier).

In answer to how i transfer fish. I lie a fishnet over a bucket, poor the water + fish into the net. Fish get caught, water drops into bucket.

I will try that.
Although I will use something a bit smaller than a bucket .
I got just the thing for that.
Since it is just a 10 gal thank, all fish will be small in a smaller plastic bag. :)

Where do you suggest to slit the bag... on the top, side, bottom, etc so the fish can also come out easily as well as the water?

BTW, decades ago, i remember that you just slit the bag over the tank and deposit the water as well as the fish in you tank .
Of course that is no longer recommended or practiced.

Ive actually got a plastic 5 litre holding tank i use, not a bucket. The net sits quite nicely on it.

Also, and this is something ive always wondered about. Joey (king of DIY on youtube) has a way of just snapping off the knot on the bag like the knot is a slipknot. Or maybe its a rubberband? The knots my local fish stores use i cant undo and I end up cutting the corner of the bag off. Maybe im doing it wrong or missing something.

BTW...
I had one male and one female Danio
The new one I got today is male.
Is that bad or does it not matter?

They are chasing each other all around at times but, I understand that is normal.

That is a negative. I would have at least 3 females for the males, ideally since they are so active even 4, giving each of the females more chance for less chasing per female.

Actually today, at times they are peacefully schooling together but, briefly. The suddenly. they would just just start chasing each other with no one being the main chaser. They seem to sort of take turns being the main chaser.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason who chases who or how long a chase lasts....most times it's only for couple of seconds
Most of time, although very active with each other of course, they are actually mostly peaceful . as peaceful as Danios can be anyway .
Then at times, they all go their separate ways for a while...to rest it seems.
In other words, you never know what they might do from one second to the next.

I have read all I could find about them and it seems that is more of less normal behavior for them.

BTW, it is the female that does a lot of the chasing, just as much as the males chasing her.
I know it is a female as it has the characteristic so- called "pot belly" / or expanded rib cage of the females .

Personally, I dump the fish (and water) into a small bucket. I think I got the bucket from a large batch of potato salad lol..
Anyways, I put it into the bucket and I still drip acclimate. Although MANY MANY MANY people say you dont have to do that...
PERSONALLY, I've had the best success with drip acclimation, so that is what I do.
I made my own out of a 2 liter bottle, some tubing and a regulator valve thing. (The one you twist to adjust the flow) I adjust it to the drip rate I think is acceptable and wont shock the fish. And I actually refill the 2 liter bottle. (It is cut, so its not a full 2 liters every time) but I fill my bottle 2 times over the period of about an hour or hour and a half. And then I add the fish. I've done the same for the multiple shrimp I have gotten shipped to me. And all have done well with this way.
Once all the water is into the bucket and it is over 3 parts my tank water to less than 1 part the water from the bag, I then dump it into a net over another bucket and put the fish into the tank. (Or shrimp)
It has worked for me MANY times..
Everyone is different though!!
Best of luck!!

Also, yes, from what I've read, it is normal for them to 'chase' each other a bit. Although i have no actual experience with this fish...
As long as there is no fin nipping. and as long as they arent stressing each other out or most importantly... picking on a single one or targeting the same one all the time, then it SHOULD be ok.
If the other target a single one every time and chase it, then something might be wrong..
Hopefully that isnt the case! :)

I have had some prior experience with them in a larger tank where I had more than three.
The only reason I described their behavior was to illustrate that whether you have 3 or 13 their behavior is basically the same .
They are very active fish.

BTW, in spite of this they do not bother other fish. of like size ...like peaceful Tetras etc. in community tanks :)

I would not exactly call them "non stop maniacs " but, they can be quite active at times. :)
BTW, the three of them have now seemed to settled down a bit and there is far less actual chasing but they are still quite active.

I think originally since the first two Danios were all alone for a few weeks, the third was initially thought of as some sort of an intruder and triggered the chasing instinct in all three maybe a bit more than normal for them.

A heads up to anyone thinking of getting them

Since they can be active, they can be voracious eaters and will often bottom feed in addition to feeding like tetras, etc

So, if you have Cory cats or other bottom feeders make sure they get enough to eat also.

Danios will liven up most any tank... just be careful not to put them in with any fish that has long flowing fins like betas or some guppys etc as most Danios are known to sometimes nip the fins of such fish

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW like said in another thread I have had experience with Aquariums in the past.
The only reason when I now have a 10 gal one is I now live in an apartment

So, I decided to set up a classic planted tank with classic fish
That means in part it is not an aquascape with few fish but a good balance of each.

So, I decided a few Danios to start .
I also had my mind sort of set on small school of Neon Tetras . but no one had them in my area

Today ... this evening, I stopped in Pet Smart only because I had to pass by it
To my surprise they had just got some Neon tetras in.. and a very knowledgeable night gal was in the fish dept.
So I got five.
They are doing great with the Danios and seem to really like their new home

So, 3 Danios and 5 Tetras are it for my 10 gal tank with the exception of a couple of Corry cats when I can get them for bottom feeders.

Nice you found what you were looking for.

Not sure if you decided which Cories to get yet. If not, and you have a chance look into Pygmy Cories, they stay small and you can get a nice little group of them. Habrosus dwarf Cory are a little smaller than mid size between the real little guys and the albino / bronze / green Aeneus Cory.

A friend moved and gave me some of her fish and there was just one little Habrosus left and he's really cute. He kinda hangs out with the Bronze Cories and a couple Pepper Cories.

Many independant lfs have them, but the are often availavle at out local Petco, the aquadics department often can order fish for you.

BTW when I saw the Neons in the pet shop yesterday, their color was not the brightest..... a bit pale
Today their color is intense and very bright
They evidently like their new home .

Also, the Danios do not bother the Neons.at all.
In fact, they just ignore each other .

Personally, I dump the fish (and water) into a small bucket. I think I got the bucket from a large batch of potato salad lol..
Anyways, I put it into the bucket and I still drip acclimate. Although MANY MANY MANY people say you dont have to do that...
PERSONALLY, I've had the best success with drip acclimation, so that is what I do.
I made my own out of a 2 liter bottle, some tubing and a regulator valve thing. (The one you twist to adjust the flow) I adjust it to the drip rate I think is acceptable and wont shock the fish. And I actually refill the 2 liter bottle. (It is cut, so its not a full 2 liters every time) but I fill my bottle 2 times over the period of about an hour or hour and a half. And then I add the fish. I've done the same for the multiple shrimp I have gotten shipped to me. And all have done well with this way.
Once all the water is into the bucket and it is over 3 parts my tank water to less than 1 part the water from the bag, I then dump it into a net over another bucket and put the fish into the tank. (Or shrimp)
It has worked for me MANY times..
Everyone is different though!!
Best of luck!!

This is how I do it. I got this from many of the old time fish keepers.

The three Danios do not bother the Neaons at all
However, every time I feed, the Danios always rush up to eat everything in sight before any of the Neons can get any .
So i have be a bit creative in my feeding so all can eat .:)

Consider finding slow sinking food and floating food. The Danios will focus on the top food and the Neons can get their share. Hikari Fancy Guppy will sink. Hikari Bio-Gold Betta food will float a long time. There are plenty more and often will say on the container floating sinking, slow sinking.

New Life Spectrum Probiotix Small Pellet Probiotic Enhanced Fish Food will float in my tanks. It will eventually sink but stays at the top a good amount of time.

That's always a nice feeling when the fish brighten up after they get into the tank!

Back
Top Bottom