I don't know how this happened.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my tank so far.....
The black background is just some corrugated cardboard painted black and is only temporary until I get something better. It does look much better in person than what you see in the pic.

I am thinking about taking out the Danios and replacing them with some Harlequin Rasboras but the Danios are just about impossible to catch ,
Perhaps in the evening when thy are sleeping near the surface.
I have come to the realization that in a 10 gallon tank is just too small for them and the Rasboras will make it a more peaceful tank .

I have an old 2 gal tank the someone gave me a while back that i can put them in as I find someone who wants them .

Attachments

• 0_tank1x.jpg
    0_tank1x.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 14
They drove me crazy when we had a few.

Black trash bag works and it doesn't hurt it if it gets wet. Lasts a very long time!

I really enjoy the Harlequin Rasboras. There are some different color variations now too. But I probably like the original version best.

Oh a very large net. Like a 8" net. Remove the top and be low swoop up out the top. An additional net can help shoo them to the right spot. Good luck.

Tank looks good. You can check out other backgrounds as well. Window film.
Textured fabric, cork, bamboo, wood or reed, sea grass woven place mats or table runners, textured / hammered / brushed metal panels used for ceiling tiles. I have had an idea to use a chunk of acrylic, add led lighting to the bottom and use a complimentary color on the back with programmable lighting colors including all the normal whites from cool to warm (no doubt someone else has already done this but it sounds fun).

One issue is I can not move the tank without taking out almost all the water to put a proper background on it. That why i went with stiff cardboard just attached in a couple of places with double faced tape.
I should have put the background on originally but, as adage says, "Hind sight vision is always 20- 20".
Black fabric on the present cardboard wild be great.. if I can find any.
I also have some large 30 gal black trash bags so, I will experiment with that over the cardboard.
BTW, II got a much better glass hood and a proper plant light on order. :)

As far as the Rasboras .... they will make perfect tank mates for the Neons
However, I have to catch the Danios first of course.

EDIT... I manged to catch two Danios. I will try to catch the other one tonight when it is sleeping or mainly inactive near the top.... or whenever I can.
I will get the Raboras tomorrow as my local Pet Smart now has them in stock and they will most likely go fast.
I now have 6 Neon tetras....long story..... and they are now starting to school together more normally. with.

All Zebra Danios are out
I manage to get just three Rasboras this morning. That was all they had.
i want a minimum of four of them. So, I will keep looking for them .

They say that the Zebra Danios are easy prolific and prolific breeders.
That I believe as I now have some (yellow) Danio eggs in the tank.
As I said, I had one female and two males.
I don't want any more Danios. Any advise on how to address this?

All Zebra Danios are out
I manage to get just three Rasboras this morning. That was all they had.
i want a minimum of four of them. So, I will keep looking for them .

They say that the Zebra Danios are easy prolific and prolific breeders.
That I believe as I now have some (yellow) Danio eggs in the tank.
As I said, had one female and two males.
I don't want any more Danios. Any advise on how to address this?

Advice about getting rid of eggs?

First, if they hatch, likely they will be eaten.

What if they are other eggs? Did you look up what the Danios egg look like compared to any other fish's eggs you have, to make sure.

Yes, Zebea Danio eggs are what I think i have.... or it could be snail eggs .

BTW, what will eat them? I just have the Neons that I got a few days ago and now the Rasboras in my tank.
I'm sill looking for Cory Catfish

If they hatch either fish group eat tiny live food / new baby Danios, so some could survive, but likely to be eaten. In my community tank, the Cories lay eggs almost every couple weeks ant the next day they are all eaten. There are also Guppies / Endlers and they have babies which are live, and oly ibce in a while does one grow past newborn and grow up.

The Neons are still a quite tiny yet. I do not think they are mature enough to breed yet. By their size, they are not even close to being 3 moths old yet. :)

The female did look like she was full of eggs but, I was not sure as I have no experience with breeding . Now the female does not look so "full ".
I discovered the eggs on a back comer, behind some plants.

BTW, both Pet Smart and Petco told me today that they will be getting Corys in about this Thursday and there will most likely be some "Pandas" among them

On more question .....
A pic of my planted tank is in this thread.

I had 6 Neon Tetras and 3 Harlequin Rosboras
I just managed to get one Panda Cory today and will be getting another one in few days
I have had just two Corys in the past and they did just fine together.

I want to get two more Rosboras.

Will that really be overstocking in my 10 gal tank?
The tank is well filtered and I have been doing 2 gal water changes about every four days... The fish do not seem crowded and the tank is now nice and peaceful with the the Danios out of it.
BTW, I do not believe in 1 inch of fish for every gal as there are too many variables to make such a blanket statement .

IMO in a 10 you should stick to the neons and cories, and I’d definitely up the number of cories. 8 neons and 5-6 cories should be ok as long as you keep up on maintenance. Also the inch per gallon “rule” has long been outdated and is rarely still used to determine stocking

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want a school l of corys
My experiences with two is that they still tend to school and feed together.... and there is no real issue with just two

The Neons tend to like the middle level and the Rasboras tend to like the upper level. There is no real conflict between the two.
There is also no issue feeding them... both like the same things..... and both like planted tanks.
IMO they are great smaller tank mates... even in a smaller tank. :)

Here is my plan.....
Add two more Rasboras for a total of five. I originally wanted a minim of four but, three was all they had .
If all goes well, eventually add a third Panda Cory.

The issue with schooling fish is low numbers equals stress, the more you have the more active they become. While cories don’t actually school, the same principle applies. When I had 6 pandas in my 40 they were timid and shy, now that there's almost 20 they’re unfazed by anything even when the female Apistos go on the war path the cories just ignore the charges and posturing and just go about there day, wasn’t the case in lower numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is about the opposite.
Basically, the more Corys you have, the less active they tend to be.

It's interesting that people can have different experiences with the same fish, etc. :)

The issue with schooling fish is low numbers equals stress, the more you have the more active they become. While cories don’t actually school, the same principle applies. When I had 6 pandas in my 40 they were timid and shy, now that there's almost 20 they’re unfazed by anything even when the female Apistos go on the war path the cories just ignore the charges and posturing and just go about there day, wasn’t the case in lower numbers.
I found this to be true also with my pandas. I certainly see more natural behaviour as the numbers grew, they seem happier, less stressed, more active, play more, less hiding. This certainly seems to be the more common experience.

Last edited:
"This certainly seems to be the more common experience"
That means it is not the only experience.

Fish school by instinct to feel safe from predators but, some research indicates if they feel safe, they do not school as much .
So, does any given tank and the various fish it contains come into play here? Tanks can vary greatly..
In other words, does any given tank environment cause a given fish to act a certain way ?

BTW, it's a given that most animals (including Humans) like to be with their own kind .This does not mean that they need a large crowd of their kind around them at all times. :)

Back
Top Bottom